Another Shitty '07 Oregon Pinot Noir

The Birkie joke’s funny, but the premise is just wrong. There’s an ocean of wonderful pinot under $35 from Oregon.

Oregon humor can be very dry, highly acidic, and somewhat astringent, so it can take some time for us California people to make sense of it.

1 Like

I’m with you, Bruce. I was giving it a 50/50 chance of sarcasm. Knowing Woody I figured it was, but I wasn’t sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

I detected no real depth of sarcasm here, but shovels of irony.

given it’s Bob… um…

Of course, Cali and OR Pinot is all crap. There’s only one place on earth that can make it properly. But NZ wines are hard to get here so…

It was awesome

let me chime in with another undrinkable pinot from Oregon - the 2007 Zenith Vineyard “Barrel Select”… swill, beautiful, swill… again, that alluring smell of a new box of crayola crayons, cherry and spice and everything nice that is elevated by the acidity of the wine. Today, even drinking better.

I will say that the 2007 are outshining the 2008 from Zenith so far, so I’m not touching any of the 2008 for a while…

I’ve suffered through three shitty 2007 Oregon PNs of late. neener

J.K. Carriere Willamette, Cameron Gherts and Westrey Abbey Ridge. As usual I slacked on the notes, but the first two were excellent and the Westrey was flat out wonderful. I recall chortling with mirth whilst imbibing the latter. [wink.gif] Generally speaking I do notice a slight greeness in the 2007s vice other vintages. I like it. It’s not off-putting and I believe it adds a bit of complexity/interest.

Don’t buy those horrible 2007 Oregon PNs! neener

David [drinkers.gif]

Tried the 07 and 08 Belle Pente Murto side by side recently-- the 07 won in a landslide. The 08 might end up being the better wine in a decade. For drinking in the near future go with the 07 Murto and let the 08s sleep.

I know it’s all in good fun, but I can’t help reading this thread from a vintner’s perspective: it’s too bad that indiscriminate internet search results may now link the name of the winery who’s wine you like with “shitty Oregon Pinot Noir” and “sucks. Don’t buy it. I poured most of the bottle down the drain.”

Rick,

Gotcha covered. How much Akarua, Berridge, Schuster and Cloudy Bay do you want?

David, thanks again for the wines. The 2 bottles opened so far were superb.

And no, they were not those tasty, I mean nasty 2007’s.

YGBK

I just pulled an 07 Sineann Schindler Vineyard PN to get an idea on the different perspective here. It says 13.8% alcohol and has a glass enclosure. Nose is light, (to me) black cherries. It’s got good legs, garnet in color. On the palate, light flavors, predominantly sour black cherry or sour cherry. Moderate acidity that is most notable on the finish. The initial flavors dissipate quickly on the finish as the acidity dries the mouth in about 20 seconds. The flavors return after another 5 seconds, subdued but present. No forest floor, no earth, no cola. Needs a food accompaniment. After 20 minutes, the black cherry is more prevalent and the finish is longer.

That’s my perspective. I think it’s a pretty good for and “07 Oregon PN.” I “prefer” more upfront fruit flavors, but this wine is very enjoyable, subtle and continuously evolving.

Anybody have this one to compare perspectives?

Well, some of each. I do believe taunting was involved. Unless you were trying to be facetious…or fatuous? neener

Love this thread! Drinking an '07 Stoller at the moment - damn, what a shitty wine! [cheers.gif]

Just give it some time. It’s awkward young but just keep putting on weight and getting prettier and prettier.

Actually, Randy has a good point. Even though this is about wine, it might be best to put this in asylum where search engines dont go.

The Cameron Gehrts and Westrey AR are 2 of my 07 favs. A comparison of Westrey’s 06, 07 and 08 ARs provides an outstanding view in to the character of those vintages.

RT

I had this very wine on Saturday night. Will drink the last of it tonight.

It was shitty.