Angerville

What about 2011s? I have some taillepieds and fremiets.

I’ve had the 11 Champans a few times in Paris and it was drinking well.

It drank very well a month ago, prompting me to say it was the first reasonably mature d’Angerville I’ve had. Last weekend I had the 96 Duc, pure and translucent fruit killed by acids I couldn’t quite handle, and the 04, slightly scrawny fruit and some green meanies, but reasonably fine apart from that and drinking pretty well.

First time I’m seeing “scrawny fruit and green meanies but drinking well” in the same line. You must be a d’Angerville junkie!

Wll, meaning that the wine is quite approachable for a 14 young d’Angerville. Not wonderful, complex or any of that, but not closed down, and unlikely to get any better.

Is there any consensus on which vineyards take more time? Sounds like perhaps Ducs and taillepieds are more concentrated; is fremiets approachable earlier? I’m not as familiar with angerville’s Caillerets or angles.

I´d say Ducs (and Champans and Caillerets) need the most time,
Angles and Fremiets may be ready slightly earlier … Taillepieds in between -
all very generally …

I agree with Gerhard’s assessment.

BTW, they make a very nice Bourgogne to drink while waiting on the Ducs. Wee crunchy and succulent… evocative of cranberries

Interesting–I would have said Ducs and Taillepieds take the most time. the wines in general can take quite a while, but at least for me I’ve had a few wonderful experiences in the 8-12 year range. these however for me are unpredictable, so I tend to just leave the wines alone during this time.

1990 Champans in October was a real pleasure. It was still firmly structured but needs no more cellaring.

I am surprised and pleased to hear this. May be time to test out some more 1995s. Every time I do I think “5 more years…”

IMHO, D’Angerville takes about 20 to open up well for me. Still drinking the '95 and drinking well right now. 10 years just seems to early for me.

Ah, it sounds like I had a very young and or shut down bottle. I gave it at least 4-5 hours but it never became very expressive. Thanks for the info, guys.

I think the sweet spot under Jacques was 20+ year for the Clos des Ducs, Taillepieds, Champans, and Caillerets generally speaking. The verdict may still be out since Guillaume took full control after Jacques passed away. We are only ~15 years in.

Thanks for all the opinions/thoughts about the 95 Ducs! What Jay Miller said is what I’ve heard elsewhere (tho not recently)…anyways, I’ll put it on the shorter list to open sometime.

I´d open it 5-6 hours in advance, then decant for 15-20 min.