Andy Beckstioffer Betting Big on Lake County

Basically, Napa is planted out and for Andy to get his prices up per ton (currently about $2,000-$2500/ton) the average bottle price of Lake County Cabernet needs to go up. So, he’s giving away fruit to winemakers from what are actually good vineyards (we’ve made good wine from them but for a sub-$20 price point) and trying to get them to make a wine that could sell for $80…this is all simply an effort to create room for folks room to take their prices up so Andy can charge more for his fruit. I applied for the free fruit but once I learned of the price points excused ourselves from the process as its counter to my interests.

Although not current, Guenoc used to make some great cabs before they were sold a decade ago.

Some of my favorite Lake Co producers apart from Steele include:

Brassfield
Chasewater
Fore Family
Gregory Graham
Six Sigma

All are great producers!

Thanks!

I second Gregory Graham. Nice wines and good people.

Shannon Ridge is another one I would recommend to those looking to explore Lake County.

Several years ago, we had a Lake County winery owner drop in with his Cabernet. He explained his grapes grew on the opposite side of the mountain from Peter Michael, with better sunlight. It had a horrible label and was undrinkable.

I have a friend who grows cab grapes South of Kelseyville. His vines are now 20+ years old and he has a contract with winery for the grapes for the next few years. He says it’s the best deal he can get because nobody recognizes/wants Lake County Cab unless you are a big time player. Having a player growing/sourcing cab in Lake County should help promote Lake grapes.

Just discovered this weekend is Lake County’s Open House if anyone is in the area.

Hi folks,
Let me introduce myself quickly: I live and work in Lake County. I work for Gregory Graham.

Just want to clear up a few things:

Yes, it is Tuck who manages those vineyards up here in LC.

Temperatures in Lake County are quite similar to what you observe in Calistoga. It can get hot in the summer, and reach 3 digits (it’s not Pinot climate here). Nice thing is, we don’t get any fog during growing season.

Probably the most interesting region for Cab in Lake County - and most of what’s been planted over the past decade as far as Cab goes - is the Red Hills AVA. It’s located in the Mayacamas Mountains, and vineyards are planted between 1,340 and 3,100 feet. That’s where Beckstoffer’s 1,500 acres or so are located.

Average ton price is $2,200. No wonder it’s such a good deal for Napa names to grow or buy it here.

75% of the Cab (and other grapes) grown in Lake County is sold to wineries outside the county, mostly in Napa Valley and Sonoma County. This year we’re selling 2/3 of our Cab to a well-known Napa Valley winery (they’ll blend it into their Rutherford label).

Lake County Cabs I’d recommend (besides my boss’) in no particular order:

• Obsidian Ridge (this is the LC wine label from Tricycle Wine Partners, who also have the Poseidon brand)
  • Shed Horn
  • Fore Family Vineyards
  • Derenoncourt (if you can get it)
  • Sol Rouge
  • Alienor Grand Vin (Cab blend)
  • Shannon Ridge High Valley

I second what Drew said above about the style. Comparing your typical Napa Cab to LC’s doesn’t make sense, unless - and this is just my opinion - you compare them to Napa’s eastern mountain districts like Howell Mountain - same soils (same mountain range), similar climate, similar elevation. A lot of theCab made out of Beckstoffer’s Amber Knolls vineyard, however, is meant to be blended with other varieties. I wouldn’t consider most of those wines to be representative of LC’s potential. I think that’s the reason behind Andy’s initiative - he’d like more winemakers like Derenoncourt to show that you can grow Cab that’s just as great here.

Feel free to hit me up if you need any info or advice or pointers regarding LC wines of visiting the area. Always glad to see new faces here. We’ve been getting a lot of attention lately, and I see new faces every week.