Andremily Mourvedre

Thanks for that information, Hardy. Why did you decide not to continue working with it’s? Are you just trying to stay with Vineyards north of that?

could definitely be possible. these wines have been strong on the secondary market

Was hoping to get an allocation of it this year (3rd year getting the Syrah) but no dice. I did however do a barrel tasting with Jim a year ago of it when I picked up my 2013 wines and it was fantastic, no formal notes taken but it was very polished and well rounded from what I remember, would have bit on it for sure. FYI he doesn’t do pickups at the Oxnard warehouse anymore and I’m not sure his policy on tastings, we were very fortunate with our visit last year and he couldn’t have been a nicer guy.

There were two. I bought one of them.

We were putting more of it each year into the Familiar and it didn’t make sense to have an almost 7hr drive from the winery to the vineyard for that. I really like the vineyard and think we made some cool wines off of it. It added a lot of character to the Familiar as well.

I’m sure we’ll be back working with other Santa Barbara County fruit in the not so distant future. (Now I just need a pilot’s license)

Hardy Wallace soaring through the air. Hmm…Where have I had that mental image before?
2015-11-29-15-05-21.jpg

Ha :wink:
That is not my normal spend for a bottle of any Mourvèdre (or wine in general), but with the bulk of it coming from SBH, I’m super fascinated / interested in trying it.

Baller! :slight_smile:

In response to the OP, my take is that the wine is approachable, but only with a bit of air. I have had plenty of D&R, and suggest that Andremily is a much bigger & bolder demonstration. I had the fortune of trying what little of the Mourvedre that had not been bottled & was still in barrel (haven’t opened a bottle yet, though). IIRC, Jim wasn’t sure what the reception to the Mourvedre would be so he held more back that he should have, given the demand that ended up being.

I us a bottle–popped and poured, and as Ron said it needs air. I don’t drink a lot of Mourvédre-heavy wines so don’t have a lot of context, but I thought it was really tasty.

I was lucky enough to spend some time with Jim while visiting SQN 4-5yrs ago. He couldn’t be a nicer person and his wines are phenomenal! Definitely one of those lists worth signing up for and patiently waiting. I’ll be opening a mourvedre soon and will report back but as is normally the case with most well made mourvedres…they need significant time to come around. I’ve had plenty of his syrahs and most seem approachable young but made to age. I’d say that they’re making the best syrah in CA along with Saxum and SQN.

Speaking to approachability in the Syrah, my WOTY in 2014 was Andremily No. 1… opened about 2 months after delivery. My other 2 are patiently waiting still, so we’ll see what some age does to it.

Saw Jim this week and did some barrel tastings of the 16s and 17s, including new fruit source. delicious! I then decided to open up a 14 Mourvedre. Sipped at open but had first glass after a 7 hour decant. This wine is absolutely wonderful. Its certainly a “big” wine but it has the structure to support its size. Plenty of dark berry / cherry mixed with meaty, pepper, herb notes and an endless finish

Jeff, all Syrah and Mourvèdre or were there other interesting goodies to report on?

not aware of any other varietals but i didnt check his back pockets… I would love for him to produce a grenache.

Thanks for the tasting note, Jeff!!!

I thought I posted a note on this but it appears to have disappeared into the nether. I tried the 2015 Andremily Mourvedre on Friday. Blind for me. First thought was cab given the texture and black currant pouring out of the glass, but I quickly threw that thought in the trash as massive notes of meat, chocolate, and barbecue pit smoke rolled on. Huge wine with solid structure that just screams grilled beef tenderloin. I figured it was not cab, and not syrah, but had no clue what the hell it was. I at least knew I didn’t know what it was, and knew what it wasn’t. That left me grasping. Mourvedre makes total sense. It’s a really fun wine, and really interesting. 93-94 and not something that I’d crack on the reg.

Thanks, K John!!

Links for producer information the Andremily Mourvèdre wine:

Andremily 2015 Mourvèdre

“The 2015 Andremily Mourvedre our second offering made from this wonderful grape, shares many similarities to its older sibling, with just a few refinements on the road to total enjoyment. The 2015 Andremily Mourvedre is a blend comprised of 92% Mourvedre, 5% Syrah, and 3% Viognier. It was raised in 100% French Barrique of which 50% were new. The final cuvee’ was 70% whole-cluster fermented, and bottled without fining or filtration. The 2015 Andremily Mourvedre is a full-bodied, concentrated, and rich cuvee’ that explodes from the glass with scents of espresso, roasted meats, blackberries, and plum, with a firm backbone and lingering finish.”

Andremily 2014 Mourvèdre

“The 2014 Andremily Mourvedre, our first varietally designated Mourvedre, is terrific blend of 86% Mourvedre from Alta Mesa Vineyard, co-fermented with 14% Syrah from White Hawk Vineyard. The fruit was 30% destemmed, and aged for 23 months in 30% new French barrique. The result of all of this is a full throttle, rich- textured wine with soaring aromatics of spiced meats, chocolate, crushed pepper, and earth. A wine packed with all of the sexiest elements of Mourvedre.”

Does anyone know what the alcohol levels are on either vintage of the Andremily Mourvèdre?

TIA

The real question: is it correctly pronounced “ann-DREM-uh-Lee”?