Anderson Valley recs?

Joe that sounds awesome. I’ll PM you for more info! Thank you much!

A place that took no credit cards, with cabins that had no keys, and that had a rule book that I don’t remember very much except that about a third of it was about using the clothing-not-recommended hot tub. I also seem to recall that the booking agent was named Brook.

-Al

Thinking of staying at Heritage house myself - looks like it reopened. How was it driving back and forth from the wineries, or did you just stay at the hotel in the Mendocino area most of the day? I looked at the drive time from Mendocino to the AV wineries and looks like it’s about 40 minutes. That would make it similar to staying in Santa Barbara and driving up to the Santa Ynez wineries I suppose.

We are heading up for my wife’s birthday weekend in February, flying to Santa Rosa from Orange County. I’m think since we have never been to AV we’d like to split the difference and stay in Healdsburg the first night or two, then drive up to Mendocino for days 3 and 4. Tons of great winery recommendations in here, thanks everyone.

The views at the Heritage House are fantastic. Yeah, it is a bit of a drive but a pretty one.

Quite a bit on this thread is no longer accurate — a few of the wineries no longer exist, and at least one restaurant mentioned is also closed. PM/email me and I can send you the up to date version!

Dan is the man for AV! Reach out to him.
I recommend a visit to Halcon on the way to or from AV.

PM sent!

Wow, one from the vaults. One thing is surely still true… Joe Webb and Foursight - great wines and hospitality!

Check out Bravium if you have the time. Met the winemaker earlier last year when he was visiting in Boston and tried some of their pinots and chards.

Matt thanks for the kind words. Were now the 7th oldest tasting room in AV going into our 11th year of being open. Im still out front pouring most days, less Jan/Sept.

1 Like

Goldeneye is pricey, but you can’t deny that view of the valley and they’re still only charging a $15 tasting fee! I would consider Goldeneye a must stop on any first trip to Anderson Valley, but it’s certainly less casual than the other tasting rooms and wineries.

I would also add Foursight onto your list and reach out to Joe Webb in advance. He makes some of the best ageable pinot noir in the valley.

1 Like

Goldeneye is probably the most Napa-like tasting experience in AV. More formal, more fancy, cute little food options, and the wine is on the pricier side. I find it really pleasant - formal, sure, but not snobby. But casual tastings are the standard in AV - whether it’s the wine and cheese pairings at Pennyroyal (I love the cheese, the wine is just ok), the beautiful rustic balcony at Philips Hill, or hanging in Joe Webb’s winery geeking out over native yeasts.

2 Likes