Anderson Valley "Deep End" Tasting @ My Place--10/22, Saturday

Andrew, there was a good note posted on the 2013 Wendling in CT this week–did you see it? Maybe we can work one of those into the tasting, too.

Brigger, so what you got in mind? I’ll see you this coming week so you can dazzle me then with your brilliant idea. It better be good, though. if it comes up short, you’ll have to do the dishes after dinner on 10/22.

I have reached out to Mark Jones and I will send Marshall a PM so we can keep moving forward here. PS–Our chef, Alex, she had her baby this past week so I’ll give her a few weeks to settle in with her new little one and then I will have a think with her about the menu she will be preparing for us. If there are any ‘wish list’ items, post them and I’ll bring them to my talk with her.

Brad and I are looking forward to coming. I know we don’t have wines in inventory that are in region unfortunately, but happy to figure that one out. We’re on vacation until early next week, but once I get back, I’ll get with Frank and figure out where we can best make a contribution on the wines!

Should I bring both the 12 and 13 Wendlings and leave the 2010 En Haut? All three? I’ve got a 2010 Monument Tree in my home fridge as well, but is that vineyard deep enough?

ooops…duplicate

Andrew, the Monument Tree plot is literally just a stone’s throw south of the southern line we drew in Posts 13 and 14 so we can include the vineyard if we need it. However, I don’t see us having to dip into it. If we keep both Wendlings in, and if you can spare both 10 and 11 En Hauts, we are filling in nicely (see list below). Brad Jones is going to need a couple bottles, so will Brig (he is coming solo). Between you and I, we should be able to help fill holes via trading with the guys.

Below is who I show as attending. Marshall, you off vacation yet? You and Diana coming?

Me
Bryan and Mindi
Sean H
Gelbs–?
Mark and Brad
Brig
Andrew and Sabha

As to the wines, this is what we have been noodling about, and all of these are available (in addition to others not listed that we can switch in)

NV Didier-Ducos Fils Absolu Blanc (Sean H)
2014 Rhys Bearwallow (thanks Kevin!)
2012 Rhys Bearwallow (Bryan)
2011 Rhys Bearwallow (Bryan)
2014 Rivers-Marie Bearwallow (thanks Will!)
2013 Rhys Porcupine Hill (part of Bearwallow) (FM3)
2012 Copain Wendling (Andrew)
2013 Copain Wendling (Andrew)
2010 Copain Kiser En Haut (Andrew)
2011 Copain Kiser En Haut (Andrew)
2011 Copain Kiser En Bas (FM3)
2007 Copain Kiser En Bas (FM3)

Frank…I vaguely remember reading something about Rhys declassifying bearwallow fruit early on. Is this true and if so what was it in?

OK…done

Some additional good news for the gang. We oughta have the 2014 Copain Kisers too. So, we’ll have a cool chance to look at Rhys, Rivers-Marie and Copain across the vintage. Not sure if I’ll have the 14 Wendling or not…will find out.

PS–we have room for 2 more people at the table (this assumes the The Gelbs are attending, too). Nordhoff mentioned he may want to attend so I’ll check with him. I’ll also float an invite to another couple who has attended our dinners before. If you have someone else in mind, reach out to me.

Just back! Will put in the wines ASAP. Need to check inventory against what is already pledged.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Hey everyone. I ran into Mark last night and he and Brad will be working with me to square up their wine contributions. In addition, Brian Acacio, who has been to a few of our events in the past, he will be joining us at the table.

Andrew, suggest that Brig work with you on his donation and I updated that below. I’d also suggest you drop the 2013 Wendling (made that edit too) and I will ask Brian Acacio to bring a bubbly to go with Sean’s opener.

So, all that said, here is a listing of who we got coming and some tentative flighting:

Me
Doc Acacio
Bryan and Mindi
Sean H
Marshall and Diana
Mark and Brad
Brig
Andrew and Sabha

Flighting:

Opener–
NV Didier-Ducos Fils Absolu Blanc (Sean H)
TBD (Brian A)

Flight 2–Vintaqe 2014
Rhys Bearwallow (thanks Kevin)
Rivers-Marie Bearwallow (thanks Will)
Copain Kiser En Bas and En Haut (thanks Copain)

Flight 3-- Vintage 2011
Copain Kiser En Bas (Brad via FM3)
Copain Kiser En Haut (Brig via Andrew)
Rhys Bearwallow (Bryan)

Flight 4–Vintage 2012 and 2013
2012 Rhys Bearwallow (Bryan)
2012 Copain Wendling (Andrew)
2013 Rhys Porcupine Hill (part of Bearwallow) (Mark via FM3)

Flight 5–Finishing
2010 Copain Kiser En Haut (Andrew)
2007 Copain Kiser En Bas (FM3)

Sounds amazing. I’m stoked. Let me know if there’s anything else I can bring or contribute.

So much fun to quote myself! I will have (hopefully) two vintages of the Cabot Nash Mill plus Eric Lundblad was nice enough to also contribute a 2012 Nash Mill. I also "might " have two other pinots which do not mention the vineyard by name but are “possibly” in the realm. That info will be divulged at the tasting! Now, all I need is for the damn weather to cool down!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Hi everyone. I am talking to Alex tomorrow and will work with her to build our menu. I’ll design something multi-course, ask her to target things that are Fall in tone/flavor, that pair well with the Deep End. I don’t believe any of you have food allergies but if I am wrong, send me a PM.

Marshall, I love your generosity but your list is too much wine, as much as you might laugh at the remark coming from me. My vision for the dinner is flighted pairs or trios of the wines committed so I’d say you stick with the Nash Mill bottles (Cabot and EL’s) and we call you good. I’ll figure out where those go as I finalize the wines and food pairings for y’alls.

[oops.gif] Frank; No problem! Never know EXACTLY what might show up on my doorstep so I tend to overdo just a bit! [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Mr Gelb, you are funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Ok, so I spoke to Alex on Sunday and asked her to build us a 6 course tasting menu. An app course, followed by 4 mains and then a dessert course. I emphasized we want Fall flavors, and to cook organic. She will also bring a helper to bus and keep the evening moving from the kitchen. I am awaiting her first menu, and the cost, which I asked her to range in between 110-125 per person. If this range is going to be a problem for anyone, please contact me now. From my viewpoint, we will get 6 courses of smartly done food, paired to our wines, by someone who digs working with us and who loves her craft. No cleanup and she knows our drill.

What time? Did I miss it somewhere?

Andrew, you did not. I have to still set it. Let me talk to Alex and then I will post the time. As a guide, figure NLT 530PM, could even be 5PM. For those who care about the start time, please post. I’ll consider silence to mean it don’t matter.

Frank: That sounds great! Checking on stemware…Should we bring our own? I would think so but just wanted to make sure.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Marshall…I’m not Frank, but I typically bring stems to his dinners, if nothing else than to have a consistent set of glasses and to lessen the burden of glasses/dishes to wash at the dinner. Also, I usually bring enough for a 4-glass flight for both me and my wife, and maybe a couple spares.

I’ll let him answer for certain, but Frank seems to have a LOT of stems, and I don’t recall him ever insisting that we bring our own, but it always seems easier on us guests when we do.

BTW…the time sounds like its 5 to 5:30? Sahba and I likely won’t be able to arrive until about 6pm, so please don’t wait for us. We have a 3:30 birthday party that we have to attend, but it’s here in Ladera, so we plan to bee-line it to the dinner ASAP.

We just can’t catch a break with these birthdays!