Anderson Valley Brief Visit and a Few Notes -- Added Photos

Hey Casey, headed up there August 10 (and maybe 11, too) with another berserker. Any chance you’ll be around and not too busy?

Very sorry Dan, but that’s the opening weekend of deer season. My brother and I host a group of 6-7 buddies that weekend which has been going on for over 25 years. Pretty much any other day I could do it.

Hey Casey, headed up there August 10 (and maybe 11, too) with another berserker. Any chance you’ll be around and not too busy?

Very sorry Dan, but that’s the opening weekend of deer season. My brother and I host a group of 6-7 buddies that weekend which has been going on for over 25 years. Pretty much any other day I could do it.

Thanks Casey! Too bad that day is no good. I may find myself up there either Friday or Monday too in case either of those works.

Great pictures; they remind me of how I am drawn to this place! I have never been but have a love affair with the wines from AV, and the pictures just reinforce this. It seems like a most beautiful place!

Casey, nice to see some hunters here!

Yeah, it is beautiful! But more importantly it’s not overrun with party busses. And just about everything is very laid back and peaceful. Everyone has been great on each of our visits over the years. No shortage of good people around…and the wines are consistently very good.

You gotta get up there!

Dan, that is a great endorsement! I gotta get there.

This AVA sounds VERY appealing to me for a trip! Relaxing country atmosphere, hardly the need to make many appointments and a beautiful coastline? Sign me up! Sounds like Santa Ynez valley, one of my favorite places to visit.

I recently realized after opening a 2014 Rhys Anderson and a 2012 WS Morning Dew, that Anderson valley is frequently a hit with my palette. For someone flying up from Orange County, is the usual route to fly into Santa Rosa and drive up? It’d be awfully hard not to stop in RRV on the way up…

Hey Brian,

If you can get a direct to STS, it is way more enjoyable than spending the first two hours getting out of SFO. Certainly doesn’t hurt to swing over to Westside Road, and if you do, check out Porter Creek while you’re there. Same vibes as Anderson Valley with a tiny tasting room and no appointment required. PM or email me if you’d like an exhaustive rundown of the whole situation up there!

Bryan thanks for stopping by on your last trip and reenergizing me to get back on the board. I finally got my new avatar photo up and will try to check in here more regularly.

Dan, thats for sharing info on what the valley has to offer, keep spreading the good word!

Hey Joe,

Sorry for leaving you out — I’ve somehow failed to visit once in my ten trips To AV over the years. Headed out in early July and will make a point to stop by.

Dan

Joe,
I thought white wine fest was very good. Thinking about planting more Riesling!

Within 10 miles before Boonville try the Maple Creek Winery. A relaxed, informal tasting with the multi talented owner, Tom, will be memorable for sure.
If you want to try some different varieties, Tom has some of the oldest vines of Symphony and Flora anywhere, both UC Davis developed whites.
His Chards and Pinot Noirs(from cool climate, to Estate, to Anderson Valley) have been excellent as well.

Joe, I’ll be posting some notes from my trip soon. Our visit with you was a highlight and you were such a generous host. It’s always special to taste some older vintages, I especially loved the 2009 pinot and my wife has already polished off all of the Sauv Blancs. Anderson Valley is really a treat and a special place in California - I thought Sonoma county was scenic and relaxing but AV took it to another level for us. Thanks again for reaching out.

I really enjoy pouring older for folks that appreciate it. With the use of Pungos we can open more cool stuff more often. We have been doing a 10+ year old library wine event each of the last 5 springs, and its by far my favorite event we do.

Getting here may take an extra hour from the regions to the south, but once your here the rewards are no traffic, no wait times at restaurants, and half the tasting rooms are husband and wife and one employee.

2 Likes