An exceptional one of a kind dinner in Amsterdam with wines from Croatia, Germany and Champagne

“I’d like to buy that wine a vowel, Pat”

1 Like

It was just a terrific night Blake, great to meet and get to know you.

Funny that we were talking about how Amsterdam had changed and probably become a bit more calm reminiscing about the unpredictable nights where anything can happy. And there and then we ended up just having one of those nights where anything can happen with joyous people and energy!

Thanks for the crash course getting me on with champagne, and don’t think I could have a better introduction than the two bottles that night.

Ivor, if I knew you were nearby we’d try to have you tag along.

1 Like

And short Blake so enjoy it as much as you can.

1 Like

And as we have already communicated, I’m ver grateful for having the opportunity to have met you and spend a wonderful evening together qt a very special place AND for your thoughtful and great wines.

After walking back from Daalder Atelier last night, a 50 minute walk, I passed through the most touristy part of the centrum and I may have to retract my statement of how mellow, calm and peaceful the new tourists profile is here, post Covid. There was a mass of bodies, wall to wall, and the vibe was high pitched and energetic to the max. Not back to the rowdy, loud and out of control state, but getting there.

I’ve mentioned Avalon aq few times to others including the folks at the wine shop Chabrol and Daalder, and no-one has ever heard of it and after checking out their website, are intrigued and interested. Such a discovery.

Great post - happy to read that you had as much fun as we had! It was super nice to meet you @Blake_Brown and @Mikael_OB! Meeting fellow wine lovers and sharing stories (and wine of course) is the best part of being a wine enthusiast.

That 1923 was special - it was like tasting part of history. We didn’t expect anything when we picked it up from “the maybe you get lucky” table in a wine shop in The Hague, so it was even more magical that it was still alive (albeit only for a few minutes)… Loved your Enderle & Moll Pinot as well - thanks for sharing. We will definitely seek out this producer in the future.

Avalon is a true gem - always great food and wine - we love to go there! If you would like to see more about everything wine in Amsterdam, you can check out http://winesnobs.amsterdam and the corresponding Instagram account. It’s crazy how many wine tastings, winemaker dinners, etc. are happening in this city - Amsterdam truly loves wine!

2 Likes

What a surprise and a great first ever post on WB. Our evening just keeps getting better, days afterwards. And thanks for the tip link; I’m checking it out after this.
Please tell us moe about what the '23 was. The label was pretty much obscured.
BTW, Dennis reached out the next day and I’ll definitely connect with you guys when I return.

It was a 1923 Château Desplats from Macau, Bordeaux (in the Haut-Medoc, close to Margaux). The label was indeed not in the best condition, but the vintage was clearly visible on the cork. We didn’t know what to expect at all (does this have some sweetness or not) but the fill level was surprisingly good for a 100-year old wine and the color was more golden than brown. The Durant was helpful to get out the cork which was obviously quite dry but overall in a quite good shape as well - the wine must have been stored properly.

Please definitely reach out - would be great to have part 2 of this amazing evening!

2 Likes

Fabulous. Thanks for the prompt response and yes, we’ll make something happen when I get back.

tx Mikael! Probably would have been quite a challenge to create some me-time with my two little kids and all the corresponding hassle :wink:

This restaurant entered the top #1 on our date-night-want-to-visit list. And I am still wondering how I (and all my friends) never heard of it.

The life situation sounds very familiar to me :joy:

To be honest it’s relatively new, it’s a word of mouth or alt. social media might spark some interest.

It’s a different kind of experience rather than the more traditional restaurants (you literally have to walk through a wine WH, a one woman show).

It’s a great wine list with quite a few things very attractively priced (sometime @ retail prices).

Enjoy once you find the time to escape!

Last week my little ones went for a sleepover at my parents so the moment was there to finally visit Avalon.

A truly unique experience to dine in the back of a wine storage and to have such a personal service. Choosing a wine upfront and discuss with the chef what to eat with definitely enhances that.

I chose (which was no sinecure) a Guiberteau Saumur Breze 2015 from the extensive list and Martine prepared a grilled poussin with morilles sauce which was excellent. The wine showed young: full of concentrated red fruits, spices and just a small cab franc bitter. Good future potential on this one to develop more complexity.

We were next to another couple the only guests that evening so the wine sharing is caring bonanza with other wine lovers as you described Blake was left out unfortunately. We did feel that we had a private dining setting and had a nice chat with the chef about her venture afterwards.

again Blake many thanks for pointing this one out to us!

1 Like

hope you cleaned off the bottle neck after opening. That’s a lead capsule, as were pre-1989 wines.

Goedzo Ivor. I’m so happy that you had a good evening there as it seems to be a reasonable expectation from my one experience. Thanks for sharing it here.

Proost

@Mikael_OB

whoops, I certainly did not but hope the host did. She has many more Guiberteau’s on her list so hopefully she knew. What can happen when not-cleaning? And why are they still using that? vintage feel :wink:
Interesting to know that the <89 wines where lead capsules, my cellar on the other hand is >2000 so minimum risk.

yes definitely your description matched the experience. A gem for i guess a limited group which is seriously into wine, good food and does care less for the busy metropolitan see and be seen restaurant buzz.

1 Like

That’s a great analogy as this place is really more for the geeks like me and I have to think that was it was designed to be.

Gee, if I show up in Amsterdam, will I get this kind of welkomst?

If you come John - definitely :wine_glass:

Though we need a bit of that good old Amsterdam magic and vibe for the bottles to move left and right with a long table starting to taking shape.

The more quiet nights of close to private dining provided by Martine with a couple of interesting wines is also a great time for any wine lover.

I echo what Mikael stated. If you are serious, it would be great if your visit coincided with when I am there which is now looking like next April.