An epic party with the OC gang; ~20 wines including 5 champagnes, 5 whites, 10 reds- from Cristal to Schrader

Yes.

Carol Schrader brought her two To Kalon cabs and decanted them. She put the paper towel in there to keep out the flying critters. There were a few fruit flies buzzing around.

1 Like

Playing a stringed instrument, or piano, develops coordination between the two hands that few non-musicians can equal.
This correlates with higher math ability. Start your children learning music early!

Got it, thanks. I thought maybe the paper towel was used as a filter to remove sediment.

I would imagine paper towel would impart a very strong paper taste

Nice notes Frankā€¦did you not drink any of the Dehlinger Pinot? Or did you just not take any notes on that wine? I fondly remember the Dehlinger Pinotā€™s from the 90ā€™s. The Estate and all of the single vineyard wines were superb and right up my alleyā€¦

Only one way to find out!

champagne.gif

the Bouchard Bechalin V8 is 2015, not 2016 or 2008, funny that I had it last night also. Both you and Blake have it listed wrong. Great wine but just a baby.

1 Like

It is Vintage 2008(V8)ā€¦disgorged April 2015.

1 Like

I misread it. The reference to 2016 on the added label is a Zachā€™s sticker. The bottle label clearly states ā€œdisgorged 4/15 and vintage 08ā€. Thanks for heads up.

I stand corrected. Sure didnā€™t taste that old.

Phil, hi. No, I did not. I missed a handful of wines. I do better, meaning write better notes when there is less wine and more time to both taste a smaller flight of things and also hear some of the comments from others.

Sounds like an epic evening!

1 Like

Nice job Gents & Gentlewomen. Wonderful notes too. and thanks for many pics to experience the event vicariously.

1 Like

Didnā€™t take notes on a bunch of the champagne.

Special wine. 32-year-old California Zinfandel. Thatā€™s all you really need to say.

The 16% ABV was nowhere to be found in this bottle. Some bricking hints at itā€™s age but you probably wouldnā€™t get within 10 years if you were tasting blind. Mature zin berries laced with a creamy feel.

• 1994 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/4/2022)
    Great treat here. This really reminds me so much of a Rivers Marie old vine summa. Washed out strawberry, Sandalwood and orange zest.

Then Blake and Steve start talking and say ā€œthereā€™s summa in this wineā€. Alright then. These guys know there summa history.

• 1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Rochioli Riverblock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (7/4/2022)
    Lots of ripe red fruit on the attack. Iā€™m very surprised at the amount of fruit for one of this age, incredible. Mixed spice box. Very much in the WS house style.
  • 1999 Ravenswood Icon - USA, California, Sonoma County (7/4/2022)
    Blind: guessed Nebbiolo but not Barolo or Barbaresco. Something like Nebbiolo dā€™Alba

This had a Cherry streak through it which sent me down the Piedmont path. Additionally, there was a leather note and a perfume that I wanted to interpret as rose petal.

Lots of people thought there was syrah in this wine and felt it was new world. I thought if it was syrah based it definitely wasnā€™t old world, at least not from Northern Rhone.

I also could have been talked into an old Grenache from Southern Rhone.

But none of the table talk could move me off of Nebbiolo and I died on that hill.

Great wine.

I know 2007 was a nice vintage for Napa valley and this is probably an excellent representation of the high end of the spectrum. More black cassis than red and good structure but not the aggressive tannins associated with much younger wines. Served alongside the 2013 and I thought this was a superior wine.

• 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (7/4/2022)
    The sparkler just continues to improve from the previous two tastings over the last 4 years. I donā€™t know if I would say itā€™s my favorite champagne but itā€™s been better than all the others had to head. So I guess it must be. It just hits on all cylinders with lemon and citrus fruit, acidity, chalk, velvety texture and all around enjoyment.
  • 2008 Vincent Dauvissat (RenĆ© & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (7/4/2022)
    Last tasted 8 years ago. What is it about Chardonnay from Chablis when itā€™s on? Thereā€™s nothing else in the world with the sophistication and complexity. The aromas coming from the glass scream frenchy. Terrific. Citrus, pineapple, spice.
  • 2010 Clos Pepe Estate Pinot Noir - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (7/4/2022)
    I would say this bottle was flawed. Burnt rubber immediately when the cork was pulled. Thatā€™s volatile sulfur. The nose and palate had a strong asphalt presents which if you didnā€™t mind didnā€™t affect the fruit of the wine but I found it quite distracted.
  • 2013 JĆ©rĆ“me PrĆ©vost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines - France, Champagne (7/4/2022)
    Really good, no excellent. While it shows the weight and color of a PM, this bottling shows a lift of acid. Medium plus gold color. Red fruit, apple and currant. Very good complexity, good wine to noodle over.
  • 2013 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (7/4/2022)
    Compared to the 2007 this came across a little more disjointed or synchronized.

The fruit came acrosses much more sweet, a bit more blue fruit. Thereā€™s a nice foundation of bittersweet chocolate which is quite attractive.

My experience with switchback is thereā€™s not much difference between the Cabernet and the Merlot. They tend to be highly concentrated, ripe fruit, big creamy texture and sweet oak influence.

This bottle was no different. This was fun to taste blind and works as a crowd-pleaser but not in my wheelhouse

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Always love your notes Brig. I come away with a smile on my face and some new and descriptive takes on wines Iā€™m familiar with. We definitely need to sit together in these outings. Iā€™m almost ready to provide Chris with dates for the next one.

Deal, weā€™ll sit together for the next one. Itā€™d be my pleasure.

And I promise Iā€™ll remember to take a picture of every course during the meal! Complete dereliction of duty on my part this time. LOL

1 Like

Hey, re the pics, I missed 3 wines. We might have to recruit help. Thankfully, Chris took a bunch.

Warms my heart to see these pictures and these notes of an evening with much-missed friends! Especially the photo of Todd double-pouring, a classic.

Frank, you must have been a happy camper with all that champagne.

Well done on all parts, a delight to read and absorb. As Blake knows, I had my own third taste of the 08 Cristal a few months ago:

"2008 Roederer Cristal

Itā€™s moved and developedā€¦just a little (my last taste was, I think, about 3 years ago). Honeycrisp apple and some graham cracker waft up the glass. To taste, it is still quite kinetic, but in a more conversational way now. Touches of lemon, tiny hint of flint and matchstick. It has gorgeous firm lines. The elegance is undeniable."

Interesting indeed to read your note on the Switchback Ridgeā€“I havenā€™t had the Merlot in some time but the 2007 Petite which I poured at MEOW also probably needs another 15-20 years [grin.gif]

Hope to see a lot of this group in a few months when the planned Mike-on-Tour Cali edition takes place.

Mahalo

Mike

1 Like

You did not miss them I just drank your pours :grimacing:

1 Like

Freakinā€™ BlueEyes