Among the Big Houses, Who Makes the Best Corton Charlie

I believe they only do it for reds. And they still do.

Thanks, Alan!

Tempting…
I used to cellar and drink Latour CCs in the pre-premox days.
How is the oak on latter day Latour CCs?
Any insight on drinking windows or premox risk?

They did it only with the reds … (and I think) still do it.

Thanks, Gerhard

There’s a 1983 NY Times article, by Frank Piral, on this (and other Burgundy topics) from reactions to Anthony Hanson’s recently released, at the time, book ''Burgundy". Amazingly (or at the very least, great of NYT to have this accessible) it’s available online:

As the NYT points out: “To preserve these articles as they originally appeared, The Times does not alter, edit or update them”…which apparently includes not correcting the misspelling of “Burgandy” in the title :slight_smile:

is there an echo in this room?

Beaucastel pasteurizes too and the wines are fine. Latour sucks because they suck, not because of the pasteurization.

Thanks for this, Eric, It’s an interesting article and a fun read, as well as laying out the pros and cons of the Latour pasteurization thing. Typical of Prial to not take a side. I remember him as extremely accomodating, and am I right, some questionable dealing on his part led to him losing the wine column at the NYT?

Maybe Gerhard has you on ignore!

Yao, I do think Girardin’s is possibly the best wine he/they make. Bouchard is almost always excellent these days. Smaller producers, Meo Camuzet’s 15 was my WOTY last year.

good point!

So far I’m a little surprised at the lack of love for Drouhin. I have a couple of vintages of their CC, but have yet to pop one. I should fix that.

So Saturday night we drank a 2008 Maison Joseph Drouhin Corton Charlemagne at Actinolite a really good and unique local-ingredient focussed restaurant in Toronto. The bottle was in great shape, not at all advanced. The mouthfeel was lighter than other Corton Charlemagnes I’ve had recently (2002 Henri Boillot and 2008 Bouchard Père et Fils) with good lemony acidity overlaying the fruit and a slight bitter almond finish. I really enjoyed it. For me, it was ready, but I would be in no hurry if I had more.

Girardin nailed the wines in 13 and 14. The Quintessence was stunning in 2014.

On a consistent basis though, yet another vote for Bouchard. Going back to 2007, they seemingly can’t miss with their CC.

Although not cheap or easy to find, I think Drouhin does a nice job.

William Kelley and Bill Nanson have posted comments that Latour have been making positive adjustments to their wines in the last few years. I’ve been dipping into their lower end whites and have been working my way up. So far I’ve liked what I have tasted.