America takes the Champagne Crown

This article credits Brexit; I credit Berserkers.

champagne.gif

USA, USA, USA!!!

I think we can credit (blame) Greg and Heaven.

Pretty amazing that Britain was #1 in sales volume given the population differences

One look in my cellar and it’s no surprise to me.

I wonder if you took out Greg and Heaven where the U.S. would be in the rankings

Um, er, shouldn’t the crown be going to the French?

https://www.champagne.fr/en/champagne-economy/key-market-statistics

Alex R.

Perhaps it was bought here, stored in bond here, but in the end often gets sold and transported to other countries.

Pretty big, fast swing. According to the interprofessional committee’s statistics, Britain was ahead of U.S. by 10 million bottles in 2016!?! Whew!

I’d heard for a long time that while most Bordeaux and Burgundy are exported, most Champagne is consumed in France. Looks like it’s still true, but by less than before. The monetary figures distort, as Champagne is far cheaper in France than in the U.S. or U.K.

Dan Kravitz

Dan is it really far cheaper? I remember seeing wine lists at Les Crayeres in Reins and thinking prices were quite similar to the US. Sample size is small

Although I dont have all of my bottles entered in on CT for this year, I am only lacking a few recent wines, and most are Champagne, of the 85 corks I have pulled this year, 55 have been Champagne! I am doing my part…

Charlie,
I just checked my consumption this year to date; 65% Champagne. I thought it would higher.
Cheers,
Warren

So why do French business visitors buy bottles here in Chicago to take back to France ?

LOL, you wouldn’t base an observation about US wine prices based on the list at EMP, would you? What a list at Crayeres though!

My impression was that, at least as of several years ago, the base level wines are significantly cheaper in France but that prices of the tete cuvees are closer to parity. Very small sample there too.

Definitely. Taking that into consideration, I’m sure the US has been the largest market by far for years.

I’ve been doing my part. 3 cases of mixed champagnes already this year. We drink more of it every year.

The larger producer wines can be less expensive in the US as the producers try to keep the Euro and USD at a 1:1 parity as much as they can. When the Euro strengthens, deals can be had in the US. You also have the fact that the US is essentially 50 different countries when it comes to wine. Nationally, prices fluctuate like crazy. Smaller producer wines are still far, far less expensive in France than in the US. Depending on what wines you like and what airline prices are, it is still sometimes less expensive to fly to France and lug back 2-3 cases than it is to purchase them in the US. It is more fun too!

I want to see!! I want to see!! champagne.gif

My post that Champagne is cheaper in France is based on their supermarket pricing, which might possibly be marginally lower than pricing at Les Crayeres [snort.gif] .

I remember visiting a very reputable, medium-sized producer and being given an export price list. A few days later, I saw the same cuvee in a supermarket at a slightly lower price… and that included the Value Added Tax!?! I asked the export manager of the producer about this.
His reply: “Monsieur, if you wish to buy 100,000 bottles and pay in advance, I assure can assure you that your cost will be much different than the price I quoted.”

Yes, the Grand Marques (Moets, Mumms, Lansons, Veuves) want reasonably comparable pricing worldwide as much as possible.

To Alan Eden: I have no idea why French visitors to Chicago would buy Champagne to take back home, unless it’s something old and/or rare. This is the first I’ve heard of anybody from France buying Champagne to take home and am puzzled.

To Ian Sutton and Ray Tuppatsch: I don’t have any statistics, but I would guess that Champagne stored in England and re-exported to the U.S. is a number so small that it’s not even a rounding error. Again, I can’t imagine that it would apply to any but old and rare, and if it’s rare, the volume is miniscule.

Dan Kravitz

More than 1000 cases alone of DP in a good, newly released vintage for just a handful of people I know personally from London brokers.

Several hundred cases each of CdC, Salon, Krug, etc from each good vintage for those same people.

And then there are US retailers who, in the aggregate, surely buy more than the above.

And of course, there are more than a few individual Champagne buyers in the US that I don’t know personally.

Then of course those same London brokers sell to many other countries, while not adding to the US volume, but those sales still need to be deducted from the England volume.

However, I do agree with you that the old and rare volume is a rounding error.

Agreed, if we’re looking at $$$ rather than bottles, the UK export trade can have some real importance. But in the context of the millions of bottles of basic Grand Marques, private label and small grower entry-level bottlings that nobody in the U.S. buys from England, it’s not much.

A good point about subtracting from UK totals but not adding to US totals. I have no idea how much might go to Africa, India, Indonesia, etc. from the UK.

Dan Kravitz