Allocations Ranked Against Each Other

I realized this year I didnt get a Harlan allo, so I called instead. Was able to place an order with zero difficulty.

Only lists I’m active on:

Cabernet
Montelena Estate
Ridge Monte Bello
macdonald
Becklyn

Red Blends
Carlisle
Bedrock
Bucklin

What’s a stimulus check?

Post deleted

Several lists are hard to find at retail or not worth the effort, but overall agree with what most folks have stated so far.

I was on the gamble list for awhile, and the nicer Gamble wines are tough to find at retail from what I’ve seen, however they’re expensive and don’t blow me away for the QPR.

Would second a few of the lists mentioned, tough to find via retail:
-Myriad
-Rivers-Marie (available on secondary but limited selection and more expensive, at least in DC area)
-Becklyn
-Realm (always more at retail from what I’ve seen).
-Ridge Monte bello

None of the wineries above have waiting lists, so easy to order when you want something or to pass when you don’t. No experience with scarecrow or McDonald . Got Harlan Maiden offer last year and the mainline this year but passed due to price.

This is an easy question for me. After 30 years of chasing the dragon with Napa Cab, I realized that deep down I’m probably not a cabernet lover. Pinot, Zin, Grenache, Syrah, Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Nero d’avila, and blends scratch my itch more often than not. Still pick up odd bottles of Dominus, Monte Bello, Rivers-Marie. Far more interested in that “entry level cab”…Ridge Estate, Mount Eden Estate, Ceritas that give me wonderful bang for the buck and leave me plenty of cash to blow on Grand Marque Champagne.

I’ve dropped many of these, and others that show up in “bucket list allocation” threads. In general, dropping off these lists felt far better than getting on them. This is more a philosophical than oenophilic thing, admittedly.
Bedrock and Carlisle for me. The rest can pound sand. There’s an ocean of great wines out there that don’t require an exclusive membership to acquire.

A couple mentioned in this thread I dropped. Carlisle, felt redundant to Bedrock and O&F. Also Rivers Marie, over priced, under delivered.
I find myself buying more, liking more, on Winebid. Aged, CT history, usually below release pricing.
Staying on Bedrock just to get the unique, will never find at retail, wines.
The other list, which isn’t really a list, but a club that I probably will never drop is Jaffurs. Great QPR Rhône wines so why not get them at the best price?

So many have come and gone, however, here’s the coveted few, that I truly enjoy indulging in…
-Sine Qua Non
-Next of Kyn
-Saxum
-Andremily
-Carlisle
-Faethm/Fingers Crossed

Waiting on MacDonald and Scarecrow.

With all the high praise for Ridge Monte Bello they don’t have a waiting list?

Saxum, , Marcssin & Aubert

Most of the wine on lists above are unattainable in the short term, except for secondary market.
You already mentioned Scarecrow; the lists for MacDonald, SQN, Screaming Eagle, and some others could be a decade or more.

Speaking for Cabernet, Realm, Myriad, Rivers-Marie, Bevan, Carter and even Schafer and Schrader will give you much more bang for the buck than $500 wines (I admittedly have Harlan in the cellar), so it is a question of how much money is burning your pocket and how often will you drink them. The Prichard Hill is a great wine. You can usually find it retail though.

An allocation of three bottles once a year is not going to satisfy someone who drinks wine several times a week (or more).

I would say that as far as lists, the must haves I would recommend for most people:

Rhone: Saxum;
Cab: Myriad, Carter, Schrader, Realm and Rivers-Marie - from your list you don’t seem to like old world style or I would add Dunn;
Pinot: Rivers-Marie, Kosta Browne, Williams Selyem, Sojourn, Marcassin (if you can get any), Rhys and Three Sticks.
Chard: Aubert, Rhys, Rivers-Marie, Sojourn, Marcassin, Liquid Farm

You aren’t guaranteed the opportunity at futures every year. If the crop is down (see 2018 recently), those at the bottom of the list don’t get any.

Great mailing lists - for SQN hat trick, add Third Twin.
While you’re waiting for the two cabs above, suggest you check out Greer and Roy Piper - absolutely fantastic wines that are never seen at retail and rarely on secondary market.

Agree with the frequent mention of Realm. My best QPR for Napa Cab. And for $200, you can’t beat Bevan.

Mark - I am surprised that Bevan doesn’t get more love or attention on this board. I can’t think of another producer who is producing such a wide range of killer cab-based wines at under $200. There is something for everyone in Russell’s portfolio, plus he’s a really good guy.

I think it so sad to read that many only buy wines off lists. There is some great wine out there.

I don’t think anyone is saying or advocating to only buy off lists, just that there are some great wines that can only be acquired that way. I’d never find Myriad or Rivers Marie at my local shop, they have very limited and highly marked up Bedrock, and some are just unobtainable like William & Mary or Pott Wine.

But 100% agree - there is some great wine out there outside of lists [cheers.gif]

I don’t think those that buy from lists don’t also buy what they can get commercially. BUT, those wineries making less than 20,000 - 30,000 cases a year (many actually make less than 5,000 cases-some just a few barrels) are usually only attainable by club or list. They don’t make enough to be widely distributed. And, other than bubbles (which i mostly buy French), I am not sure which wines are widely available which I would prefer over a Rivers-Marie or Myriad Cab, or a Williams Selyem. Sojourn or Rhys Pinot. What commercially available Pinot are you referring to? The occasional Opus, Mondavi Reserve, Insignia, or Dominus I see at Costco? I cannot think of one large producer I’d want to drink regularly over those only available on a list.

And, we were talking elite Cabs in this thread. There are so many small producers you’d never (or rarely) find locally. Tell me if you can find some of these at retail (and I don’t mean secondary market with a big markup like happens with Marcassin or Sea Smoke): Myriad, Quivet, Patine, Rivers-Marie, Crawford Family, Holdredge, Eric Kent, Donum, Joseph Swan, Loring, Rochioli (SVD), or even Kosta Browne?

Tell us wine snobs where we should be buying what we like to drink! Please!

Totally agree. I hate being a slave to some lists, but I want the wine and figure the aggrevation is worth it to get the wines I want in my cellar.

1 Like