All things Oregon Chardonnay

@Jim_Anderson, Allison and I dropped off our YOLO BD15 Chard offer to Abigail and bought some of the PG Estate Chard. MY GOD. This is the Chard I want to make more of. We need to come back to get more.

4 Likes

Thanks! We’re just a tiny little blip in the machine of Oregon Chardonnay. Not one of the Illuminati. I do like what we have with our Estate fruit beginning with that 2021.

I’m sure Abi was or will be pleased to have that wine! Look at the Berserker wineries doing personalized deliveries folks!

3 Likes

@Jim_Anderson Loved the nose and texture of the '21 Chard. Flavor is spot on. Pure balance. Would love to talk shop on it and learn more.

2 Likes

Question to @Marcus_Goodfellow … I recently found Domaine Glennon in my market and was super excited to try them out. Given the thread can you speak to the different approaches you have at each project, especially for the Durant Chardonnay? My limited funds have prevented me from pulling the trigger on buying a full case from you but I was able to pick up a bottle of the '19 Glennon Durant. Cheers

3 Likes

Wait, WAT? How have I not heard about Marcus making some (all?) wines for whoever Domaine Glennon is?

2 Likes
4 Likes

I bought two bottles at my local wine store and emailed Marcus about domaine glennon. Said they are basically the only custom crush work he does with 300-500 cases. Made in a similar style to his own wines.

I liked the Durant Chardonnay quite a bit but the WV pinot didn’t hold up on day 2.

1 Like

Just saw you’re in Stl. I’m guessing you got it at the Wine Merchant after you saw the email, same as me.

1 Like

Finally opened a 2021 Morgen Long Chardonnay Marine. It was a very good wine and convinced a bourbon collector that he should be collecting wine too. I found it comparable to Walter Scott Chardonnay Cuvée Anne.

7 Likes

Saw the recent posts on Oregon Pinot Blanc. This past Thursday at a wine dinner we had the 2021 Kelley Fox Barbie and the 2021 Goodfellow Franc de Pied side by side. Both drank very well in my opinion, but I think that night the table had a preference for the Goodfellow.

1 Like

Hi Alec,

The winemaking for the Domaine Glennon wines is the same as it is for Goodfellow. We do make individual choices for vineyards but we don’t have the time to create a separate process for the Domaine Glennon wines (and Darin came to us because he liked the wines we make).

The main differences would be that the Domaine Glennon wines have their own barrels(though coopers are similar) and differences in fruit. The Domaine Glennon Pinot Noirs are typically from Durant and Bednarik, though the 2019 would also have had fruit from Shea vineyard in it, as well.

Whole cluster amounts are similar, and fermentations are all handled exactly the same. The Durant Chardonnay is from tha same block that we work with, though Goodfellow has the opportunity to choose among a larger number of vessels when deciding vineyard designates.

I hope that helps!

Marcus

10 Likes

Super helpful, thanks! Tbh that was what I was hoping for. Looking forward to popping them open soon.

1 Like

Just opened a 2020 Morgen Long Durant Vineyard with @Rohit_B tonight. Needed close to 4 hours of air to really show itself but so good! Lime peel, pear, cardamom, and saffron on the nose. Really enjoy the purity of the underripe orchard fruit on the palate, well supported by a backbone of chalky minerality. Nice texture, killer juice!

7 Likes

Can confirm it was phenomenal and needed 4+ hours to fully show. I actually thought it was a touch thin for the first 3 hours and then suddenly it rounded out.

1 Like

Cool. When you say 4 hours-- was that more of a temp. issue? 4 hours in the glass, or decanted? Curious

4 hours decanted. I actually decanted for an hour before putting back in bottle to bring over, then we decanted again.

2 Likes
  • 2020 Morgen Long Chardonnay Durant - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (2/18/2024)
    This was absolutely phenomenal but needed a good 4-6h to fully open.

Beautiful underripe orchard fruit, bright acidity, lovely texture and balance. Kiss of oak that integrates more with being open. Tons of complexity here despite being so young. This should cruise for 10-15 years in the cellar.

Seth may have ruffled some feathers with the price hike of the 22 vintage, but based on what's in the glass it is hard to blame him. (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Pleased to have finally tried the 2021 Vincent Royer Vineyard Chard. @Bweiss has a TN here (Vincent Wine Co thread). My notes are a little different: Beautiful, lean, elegant with good substance and generous fruit and florals, and a pleasing finish. Struck flint minerality/reduction on the nose, dissipates with time, and shifts to wet-stone minerality on the palette and fresh sea breeze salinity on the finish. Heady citrus and white flower notes on the palate with shimmering acidity that keeps calling me back for more. Great wine! I believe this wine has a touch of new oak (one barrel’s worth), but very well integrated and to my palate, I found no buttery/vanilla/mocha types flavors which is my preferred style : ) Well done @Vincent_Fritzsche !!

8 Likes

Thanks for the note David, I really appreciate your perspective on the wine. Very happy with this one myself.

6 Likes

Popped the '22 @JohnGrochau Pearlstad. Run, don’t walk.

3 Likes