Alban Release

thanks my shipping went from 58 to 24 much better

I’ve really liked the handful of Alban Syrahs I’ve had in the past, but have never tried their voignier. Saw the 16 for a solid price locally and scooped it up based on this thread. Have a glass in my hand right now, and I’ve gotta say, I’m having a hard time finding much to like here. Thick/viscous texture with some faint notes of waxy Bananna, but it’s all masked by a ton of heat/alcohol and a bitter finish. Do these settle in with more age? I know Larry said he likes em young which is why I popped one now. If this is representative, I’ll probably stick with the syrahs.

Rich

Does Alban still release 2 different viogniers - an ‘Estate’ one and a ‘Central Coast’ one? Just curious - if so, the two usually are quite different.

Cheers

Hey Larry

I’m not sure, but the one I have is the Central Coast bottling…which I’m guessing is the lesser of the 2.

I left the remainder of the bottle in the cellar so I’ll give it a shot later today and see how it’s coming along

Yes, there are two different versions. I believe “Central Coast” may be purchased grapes and the oak treatment is different. Failla used to get estate viognier grapes from Alban, but that deal is finished. For a step up, go with the estate roussanne; much better wine, handles the oak much better and can go out ten years.

James,

If there still are two, then you are correct. The ‘Central Coast’ bottling was always a combo of purchased fruit plus most likely stuff from the estate that did not make the cut for the Estate Viognier. Usually a big difference in price as well - similar to Patrina and Reva, etc. The Estate bottling was always ‘richer and more unctuous’, a true ‘Dolly Parton’ viognier to borrow a line from Tom Hill . . .

Cheers

Thanks fellas. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the Estate voignier if I ever come across it, but I’ll be passing on buying any addiitonal bottles of the Central Coast. Def didnt love that one.

Here in Las Vegas, the Estate goes for around $49, the Central Coast for maybe $29, but I’ve seen it on sale for $25. I’m not sure the Estate is worth twice the C Coast, but it definitely is a better wine…it is the full Dolly Parton style if you like that.

Happy Valentines and all in on Alban

Patrina is the value equivalent of the QC CVR [winner.gif]