AFWE Pinot in Sonoma County?

After hitting some Cab centric wineries in Napa/Sonoma to please my traveling companion, I’m gonna need a pinot fix. I tend to enjoy AFWE style wines and love Oregon pinot…So which Sonoma based wineries will float my boat? Thanks!

Arnot-Roberts (do they make Pinot? I’m not sure, but lots of other interesting wines); Copain (!); Someone posted about a visit to Zepaltas yesterday, haven’t had any of his wines in a while, but I suspect they definitely qualify. All need appointments.

Wind Gap. Tasting room at the Barlow, Sebastopol.

Good recommendation as well.

Littorai

Ceritas

Fogline

Thanks for the rec’s so far. Have visited and enjoyed Littorai previously.

Give Skewis a try. They are the epitome of the non-big and non- flabby style. I have also heard good things about Cobb but have yet to try them.

Ive never understood how Littorai is considered a low ripeness or AFWE style wine. They always seem quite ripe (but not syrupy) to me. The wines are special but I don’t see them as AFWE style at all.

Berry- i hear ya and think it’s because they don’t come off as thick, flabby, overtly sweet, etc. They are balanced and not to bad on the acid so i think they lean more towards AFWE but by no means are they lean. The 3 we got to on this trip were

Fogline
Zepaltas
Soliste Cellars

If you like Littorai you should like all 3. Soliste would be the most AFWE and I’ll be doing a write up in the next few days/ Flat out like no other wines I’ve had from Cali. Their La Tache single clone pinot and Chard were the top wines of our trip. Also the most $$ I’ve ever spent on a Cali pinot. I am really surprised these don’t get more discussion here. The AFWE crowd will love them and probably shock a few on how good they are.

Less ripe, IMO, than Rhys or Copain. Sans stems, but less ripe.

Try a Littorai Hirsch. Definitely nothing AFWE about this bottling. The label could just as easily say Welch’s.

Agreed, but that just (correctly) implies that Littorai isn’t dogmatic anything, and works with what the vineyard gives them. Most years the Larmes is decidedly on the AFWE side of things, and at least that reflects a house style.

Surprised no one has mentioned Doug Nalle. He makes Dry Creek zinfandels and Russian River pinots on the lighter side.

Winery name?

Nalle.

Doh!

Surprised no one has mentioned Doug Nalle. He makes Dry Creek zinfandels and Russian River pinots on the lighter side.

Winery name?

Nalle.

I guess Dougy Wines didn’t work for him. lol

Also, Woodenhead.

Berry, they tend to be low alcohol, edgy and vibrant. They somehow also manage to deliver beautiful ripe fruit. For me they deliver what I seek in Pinot in the same way that Copain and Rhys do.