AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

Give yourself some time to grow into the idea of the helicopter landing pad. You can do it, I know you can!

Made one visit to Linne Calodo, I think back in 2009. I actually liked some of the wines :slight_smile:

Martinelli’s G&L Zin is (for me) higher-priced Apothic.

Confessions? I still own bottles of 1966, 1970, 1973 and 1975 Bordeaux that I bought many years ago when I thought all good wine was made in France and California wine was good for making punch at hippie weddings.

For Jay, the confession needs to be about some time when he bought an elegant Burgundy and liked it.

Almost touché—you haven’t seen his cellar. :wink: He doesn’t bruit it about, but there are rather a number of Burgs stashed away there.

I brought a bottle of Dominique Laurent to Racines ones when Pascaline was there. I think other than the late 90s Laurent’s oak integrates, because he gets access to great sites. Let’s just say Pascaline disagrees. Strongly.

I buy and drink wines made in CA. Worse yet
I enjoy them. :flushed:

I love Unico and Penfolds Grange

I wouldn’t have thought Unico was anti-AFWE?

No wonder you had cash free to buy some Ovid. At least you have 80% of your cellar made up of cellar defenders that no one else will try to drink.

He traded all of his Bordeaux for a case of 2010 Le Dome.

Everything else is Bordeaux. Easy 1/3 - maybe closer to 40% after my spate of recent purchases these last two years - is old world Bordeaux. I have cleared out all of my modern drek. I bet that I have less than 10 bottles, perhaps more like 5 bottles, that are modern Bordeaux in the lexicon of how I define it. I do have one bottle of 2005 Chateau Cos and my Leve-guided purchase of 2016 Les Carmes Haut Brion, which just arrived today.

In 1978, I bought a case of 1976 Chateau de la Maltroye Clos de la Maltroye Chassagne Montrachet Rouge. In 2005, I was hosting a charity dinner at my house and someone asked, “If you store a wine properly, will it last forever.” That seemed like a boring question, so instead of answering, I went downstairs, took one of the remaining bottles, brought it upstairs and handed it to my wife to decant into the new Waterford Crystal decanter we had picked up a few weeks earlier at the factory in Ireland. When the decanting was finished, the dining room smelled like someone had smashed five pounds of ripe cherries on the floor and the wine was sublimely delicious. Does that work for you?

STFU. Next he’s going to come and try to drink some of my 2005 GCs.

I should plead the fifth. I bought several cases of Helen Turley’s first wine BR Cohn 1984. It was a revelation at the time, completely different to anything I had ever tasted. The problem was it soon became boring, and it gained no complexity with age. Now I use it as a warning.

At one of our blind tastings I enjoyed a modern Spanish wine. It was called something like terabithia or oldmanthia. Not quite sure.

Folks, there is a solution to still owning certain monstrosities acquired in our less considered youth: charity auctions.

Last year one got $1,000 for my 3L of 2003 Bellevue Mondotte. The reviews said it all: mocha, caramel, nougat. I hope the buyer (donor) likes it. A win/win/win.

Reminds me of a confession: I bought and consumed a 2003 Bellevue Mondotte. I’n my defense, back in 2005, I had been out of the wine game for 5-6 years, and had no clue what had happened to Parker’s palate and that once wonderful region called St Emilion. That wine was horrid.

I have 3 cases of SQN in the cellar, yep, I said it. I’m even looking forward to drinking some of them! Pull my AFWE card now and force me to give away all my burgs to more deserving cardholders

[thankyou.gif] [winner.gif]

I am a big fan of Chassagne reds

Termanthia. 2001 or 2002. A great inky wine made from pre-phyloxera grapes. I have another bottle if you want to try some more.