Additive curious, looking for a Mega Purple source.

I’d think you would want to start with a wine that’s lacking in well…everything. The worst vintage of already thin wine and see what you can do with that. maybe a 13 Bordeaux or Loire or something from South America with greenies?

I’d venture to bet most California Designate wines that are in the $6-$15 range use Mega Purple.

Maybe you can trade recipes with Rudy K.
You could be pen pals.

That’s a great idea. I wonder if Rudy worked that way.

I am going to take your advice!

I think from memory it appeared he was actually using good wine and then would add some cheap aged wine to the good young stuff to make it appear somewhat aged. Seems like that’s why you heard a lot of “wow, I can’t believe that’s a 1937” I forget what wine it was but he cornered the market on a bulk purchase of some particular cheap old wine.

[wink.gif] All sorts of very aged but mediocre wine plus Marcassin

Yeah, but their PrimoPurple 40th Anniversary is $4000/gallon!

My recollection as well. The old Burgs were Patriarche.

Great episode!

Most wine shops sell the stuff.

Based on what?

Winemakers and lab techs in the industry. Bulk juice from central valley mixed with some Mega Purple to give rounder mouth feel and more intense fruit forward aroma and taste. Hard to make wine in that segment from the areas the grapes are grown to taste the way they do without it.

Those are fascinating! (They don’t sell them in small enough quantities to make playing with them feasible, but I will continue to look.) These really make me wonder what secrets their client list might reveal!

I finally found a small size mega Purple, and also got some glycerol, tannin powder, some “white wine concentrator,” and a thing called Fermfast Dual Smooth, containing “Sinatin 17.”

I am going to rewatch that famous episode of Northern Exposure and see what I can create with these new things, some other household items, and Two Buck Chuck.

Cult wines, I’m coming for ya! [cheers.gif]

Anton,

Would you mind sharing where you found the small quantity of Mega Purple? After the same, myself.

Thank you and cheers!

Kathy

But I think they did find a bottle of Marcassin pinot, too, as I recall. Maybe something like Duckhorn merlot, but I might be making that one up.

I’m surprised no one has suggested the Dark Web as a source for Mega Purple.

I think they sell 375’s of Apothic Red, is that small enough?

One of Rudy’s recipes definitely included Marcassin.

Of course, adulteration of wine to make it more palatable is nothing new and goes back forever.

Andrew Barr wrote a book called Wine Snobbery, in which he wrote that someone at Avery’s told him he beefed up the '66 Nuits St Georges Roncieres with an addition of Port, glycerine and wine from Morocco… He was sued for libel by various people and the book had to be republished with the Avery’s name missing.

Sort of like Ben Wallace’s Billionaire’s Vinegar, about Rodenstock, which had be pulled in Britain because Michael Broadbent brought a libel suit.

I think Serena Sutcliffe also sued him.