Adding Humidity

This is what I do and it works fine. Otherwise, my winter humidity level gets below 40%.

At Target, they have a “cool mist” humidifier…adds no heat and lots of vapor. I use one during the winter months. I think it was $24.00.

If you have counter space in your cellar (I sure dont) you can get a small, self contained fountain and turn it on periodically to increase the humidity and your wine will appreciate the soothing sounds. Win/Win

It would also create a nice calm environment for all the bottles [wow.gif]

The bowl of water has done nothing so far. Looks more entertaining than anything else.

Yep. Super old thread, but, the humidifier I mooched from my mom finally bit it.

I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-QuietCare-Humidifier-Technology-HCM-6009/dp/B000G0LDRI

The thing is great. It has two separate water tanks which makes it easier to change the water.

It also has an auto on and off setting so now it just adds humidity on its own when needed.

Also, there is no visible mist. Perfect for my hardwood floors.

It also has wheels for easy summertime removal from the cellar.

Just in case someone is looking for a humidifier for their cellar.

How is it powered ?

Just plug it into an outlet.

Ah that’s my problem. I don’t have an outlet in my cellar.

The bucket w/ a towel as a wick works well…my friend has the same no outlet problem and it’s worth 10-15% extra humidity.

Zach - why not just wrap the ends of the bottles with Saran wrap if you’re concerned? BTW - do most of your bottles have capsules? Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it at all. Corks don’t act like wicks. A wicks acts through capillary action. That means that since the atoms of water are polar, the negative part sticks to the positive part of another and when the one at the end of the chain evaporates, the whole chain gets pulled up. That would also mean that you’d have constant moisture at the outside of your cork, particularly if it’s under a capsule.

Corks don’t act that way. They’re basically little balloons of fats and waxes and cellulose. The water or liquid has a hard time travelling around those little air bags.

If something happens to create ullage, it’s because the corks aren’t all perfect seals. A perfect cork won’t allow exchange between the inside and outside of the bottles. That’s why 12 bottles from the same box can have different ullage levels. So wrapping the end of the bottle can help solve that problem, if it exists. I’m sure everyone here has had the experience of opening a bottle and having the dry cork crumble. Does that mean 100 pct of those bottles were in low humidity and stored upright? Nope. I opened a bottle last night, stored on its side and in a cold, humid cellar since purchase 10 years ago. Cork already crapped out.

Boston is pretty humid. Why do you want more humidity?