Acid and aging

My random thoughts:

The final state of any wine is oxidized…which is why Madeira is playing the right game and we’re all the fools :slight_smile:.

If you want to make your own vinegar, you generally need to lower the alcohol down to a level that the acetobacter can survive…most home vinegar makers I know (home vinegar can be quite good and worth persuing!) dilute the wine before inoculating.

Imo, wines/Pinots with both a good level of acid and tannins will live a long long time, and can take a long time to resolve so they’re enjoyable ‘soon’ after pop and pour. This is the main source of burgundy’s longevity. Also, tannins that are neither bitter (short) or astringent (long) can be difficult to distinguish from acidity, esp in wines that have a good amount of both. Sounds like the BH Pinot is in this camp (as many/most of my wines can be as well). My suggestion, which works well for me, is to open the pinot an hour or two+ hours ahead of time, pull the cork, pour some wine into a 2 cup pyrex glass measuring cup and pour it back in the bottle. The pouring lip of the pyrex fits perfectly into the top of the bottle, with no spilling! It’ll give the wine enough air + enough time to start opening up. Pinot isn’t cab…it needs some/a bit of air and more time to open up. I adapted this tip from Méo Camuzet (the pyrex part is mine).

Woo Hoo!

Funny that you mentioned the pyrex tip! I did this the other night on a 2018 Keller RR after double decanting. The wine still had tension, but was a huge improvement from when I first opened the bottle. I will be adapting this method more often.

I remove SO2 by adding a little hydrogen peroxide to the wine before adding it to the barrel.

To be clear, you’re talking about your vinegar-making technique, not your winemaking technique. neener

I love SO2 in wine, I have the t-shirt to prove it. But I don’t make wine, I just sell it.

But that’s . . . unnatural.