A unique wine of 1727 and a fantastic 1929 Petrus

A wine merchant in Bochum near Essen in Germany organized a tasting with a star : a Rüdesheim Apostolwein Rathskeller Bremen 1727. To drink a wine of 1727 is something unreal. I registered.
He asked me to come the day before for a private dinner with two other friends. I brought a Vieux Chateau certan 1955 for this dinner with wines which were not announced. It was pure debauchery.
Dinner day 1 :
Monzinger Frühlingsplätzchen Emrich-Scönleber 2004
Riesling Auslese Trocken Pfalz Koehler Ruprecht “R” 2001
Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spätlese Joh. Jos Prüm 2007
Vin de Bordeaux blanc, appellation Bordeaux contrôlée, domaine du Bourdieu à Soulignac sans année
Vieux Château Certan 1955
Château La Mission Haut-Brion 1983
Château Clinet 1943
Clos-Vougeot Château de La Tour Morin 1935
Nuits-Saint-Georges Moillard-Grivot 1945
Nuits-Saint-Georges François Gilles 1945
Château Montrose 1970
Clos des Grandes Murailles (ancien Clos des Moines) Saint-émilion Commandant Malen propriétaire 1928
Château Pavie 1952
Vosne-Romanée Les Malconsorts Domaines Grivelet 1952
Moulin-à-Vent Piat et Cie 1949
Chateauneuf-du-Pape A. R. Barrière Frères 1959

My ranking of the wines :
1 - Vieux Château Certan 1955,
2 - Clos des Grandes Murailles (ancien Clos des Moines) Saint-émilion Commandant Malen propriétaire 1928,
3 - Château Montrose 1970,
4 - Moulin-à-Vent Piat et Cie 1949,
5 - Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spätlese Joh. Jos Prüm 2007,
6 - Château Clinet 1943,
7 - Chateauneuf-du-Pape A. R. Barrière Frères 1959

Dinner of day 2
Wine drunk during the opening of the wines, which I did for all the wines
Urziger Würzgarten Auslese Robert Eymael 1971

Dinner of 14 people (13 glasses served per wine)
Riesling Spätlese trocken J.B.Becker Wallufer Walkenberg 1990
Monziger Frühlings Plätzchen Riesling Trocken Spätlese Emrich Schönleber magnum 1989
Schloss Reinharthausen Hettenheimer Wisselbrunn 1934
Deidesheimer Hergottsacker Riesling Spätlese Würzburg Rheinpfalz 1949
Erdener Treppchen feine AusleseWachstum Schönmann 1949
Niersteiner Riesling 1870 #
Assmannshauser Spätburgunder 1872
Rüdesheim Apostolwein Rathskeller Bremen 1727
Château Gruaud-Larose Faure-Bethmann 1928
Château Troplong-Mondot 1934
Château Pontet-Canet magnum 1955
Château La Conseillante 1949
Château La Mission Haut-Brion 1955
Château Haut-Brion 1955
Chateauneuf-du-Pape Clos des Papes magnum 1990
Vega Sicilia Unico 1947
Château Cheval Blanc 1947
Château L’Angélus 1947
Château La Perrière, Lussac Saint-Emilion 1947
Nuits-Saint-Georges Van der Meullen 1926
Chambertin Van der Meullen 1947
Vosne Romanée Van der Meullen 1947
Porto Vintage Graham’s 1924
Tokaji Eszencia 1945
Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese Joh. Jos. Prüm 2007

My ranking of the wines :
1 - Rüdesheim Apostolwein Rathskeller Bremen 1727,
2 - Pétrus 1929,
3 - Assmannshauser Spätburgunder 1872,
4 - Vega Sicilia Unico 1947,
5 - Château Pontet Canet 1955,
6 - Chateauneuf-du-Pape Clos des Papes magnum 1990,
7 - Niersteiner Riesling 1870 #,
8 - Château La Perrière 1947,
9 - Château Cheval Blanc 1947,
10 - Château Gruaud-Larose Faure-Bethmann 1928.

I will try to translate my notes, but I would like to say :
The 1727 comes from 12 barrels of wines of 1683, 1717 and 1727 which were reduced in number, one by one, due to the evaporation. So contrarily to the technique of solera, there was no addition of new vintages. When only one barrel remained, the wine was bottled in the 60ies (of 20th century).
The wine is fantastic and evokes old sauternes when they have eaten their sugar. It was purely delicious. The date of the wine is completely amazing. There was more distance between the oldest oether wine, the 1872, than between the 1872 and today. Unbelievable.

The Petrus 1929 is a fantastic wine, with a deep red fruit and a truffle aroma.

The Assmannshauser Spätburgunder 1872 is the oldest known red wine in Germany. I loved it as it is a great old wine, with wounds, but so emotional.

The Vega Sicilia Unico 1947 had the complete signature of an old VSU. Full of pink fruits.

The Pontet-Canet 1955 in magnum was the pure definition of what a Bordeaux should be and at a level of maturity which is perfection.

I did not rank so well the Cheval Blanc 1947 (the second for me in the same week (crazy)) because, even if it was perfect and with no default, it did not create enough emotion. I expected more, and I had not it, contrarily to the Petrus 1929 which was extremely emotional.

The Urziger Würzgarten Auslese Robert Eymael 1971 is a fantastic German wine, full of charm and sunny.

Uwe, the organizer is a crazy wine lover, with a generosity which is amazing.
It was a heavy week-end, but the 1727 and the 1929 Petrus justify completely such a madness.

I honestly don’t know what to say… or ask…

[welldone.gif]

What a treat to live vicariously through these great posts! Merci, M. Audouze.

How’d the 2007 Prum WS Spatlese show?

Mssr. Adouze,

Do you wake up every morning and thank your lucky stars that you get to live your life?

I would.

I am in utter awe of you.

Cheers,
Corey

I have a recurring nightmare where I bring a 1983 La Mission to dinner and all the other wines are from the 40’s and 50’s.

These posts are the equivalent of George Clooney or Leo DiCaprio regaling us about their remarkable sexual exploits. We’ll never be able to imagine what it’s like, and we’ll never be able to recreate the event, but hot damn, it sure sounds fun and the subject of the exploits are sure as hell dream-worthy.

Also, I know it was industry, and so the host was probably showing portfolio wines at some point, but how big an idiot would you feel if your contribution to that tasting was an 07 Prum you can snag at your local liquor store for $35.

Wow! Incredible.

How were the 20+ year Spatlese Trocken holding up?

Intersting information. I was going to ask when the wine was actually bottled, but I saw it posted when I re-read it.

Goodness! Isn’t this the wine that Michael Broadbent and Hugh Johnson talked about as the oldest still in existence?
If I remember correctly, this was the year the Rhine dried up. Must’ve been some ripe grapes!

Matt,
The two Prüm that we had were characterized by precision. The wines are elegant and extremely precise.

Sarah,
The two Trocken Spätlese were very dry, with a strong pepper, but the impression of dryness was amplified by the fact that I had drunk one hour before, while opening the bottles, the 1971 which was fabulous and had a very natural sweetness.

Corey,
It is clear that I live a very happy life which is sort of an accomplishment of my passion.

Thank you Francois, I was just wondering what you had been up to recently. 285 years old… wow. That must have been an incredible experience even with all your wealth of knowledge of old wine. Wow.

A 100 year old wine was apparently chosen to celebrate the
Centennial of Sir Isaac Newton’s passing in 1727.

Could it have been the 1727 Rüdesheim Apostolwein Rathskeller Bremen ? [drinkers.gif]

Wonder what was selected for the Bicentennial in 1927… [highfive.gif]

Come to think of it, Sir Isaac Newton once served as the Master of the Mint, where he devoted
considerable study into the area of counterfeiting. Maybe his notes would come in handy when one
goes through the lengthy Rudy Kurniawan thread. [swoon.gif]

Hank [cheers.gif]

I pray that this is how my “consumers” refer to me, though I am not a wine.

Other than that comment, this whole event is hard to relate to, though I have been passionate about wine for 25 years. Well played, sir, but this is a game from another planet.

Thanks for the notes.

Hank,
The 1727 is what you say.

I have put 70 pictures on my blog.
For those who are interested in seeing the wines, the pictures are at the end of each message

http://www.academiedesvinsanciens.org/archives/2889-Degustations-de-folie-a-Bochum-jour-1.html

http://www.academiedesvinsanciens.org/archives/2890-Degustations-de-folie-a-Bochum-jour-2-avec-un-vin-de-1727.html

It is interesting to compare the two labels of Cheval Blanc 1947 that I have drunk. very different !!!

and here another type of label with the hand of a woman who was a previous owner of Cheval Blanc who showed me her ring, which has the same design of shield as on the label