A speeding ticket almost every day I was in France

iPhone?

Perhaps they were in French. [rofl.gif]

FWIW you can download map data onto your phone and use Google maps without a cell data connection in offline mode. I always try to do this when I’m driving out of the country.

I’ve gotten several tickets due to cameras in Germany and Czech Republic.
It is true that the 25-30 Euro charges are only the fee the rental car company charges for having to provide information to the authorities.
The Germans never contacted me about the tickets.
The Czechs did (sent me a letter describing the charges), but I never paid the ticket.

I am curious - how do these work?

Are they cameras that simply catch you at a single point in time? Or is it like a toll road that measures your time to cross a certain distance and simply calculates whether or not you had to speed in order to cross that distance in that time?

Is there any sort of “cushion”? Or do you get nailed at 111 in a 110 zone?

They are cameras.
I am not sure of the amount of leniency that they give you.
If you are going too fast, you see the flash.

I got a ticket for going 118 km/h in a 110 zone in Austria few years ago, so any cushion there is less than 8 km/h (5mph) if one exists at all.

I was never 2-3 km over posted limit.
Maybe they got me when the speed limit went down from 110 to 90 but you really have to be on your toes to pick that up quickly. I adjusted less than 1-2 minutes after seeing it on the dashboard.
Like I said several times- If I got a ticket, then they were giving out 60 tickets a minute.

That’s nearly 70miles an hour… if you waited a minute or two, that means you potentially traveled a bit more than 2 miles farther before slowing. Consequently, it seems entirely possible that by the time you reduced speed a minute or two later, that you had already passed the camera.

I received notice of 2 tickets while in France in 2018. We received the €29 charge for both of them from the rental car company, but only received one actual ticket. They were both for going about 5-8 km/hr over the posted speed limit so there is definitely not much cushion.

The cushion is typically 5% of posted limit.

I drive cross country fairly often in France & Spain. Only once in Italy & Germany. Now that I think of it, I always get fined in France (the rental company just tacks it on to my credit card); but never in Spain, Italy & Germany.

They have signs announcing them…c’est la vie.

Same scenario for me in 2019, but fortunately only once. Sixt rental car on an Autoroute. Passed about 5 consecutive sites posted as 130kph. The sixth was 110kph. I noticed the sign and recalled looking around to see if there might be a reason for the change. Nothing that was explicable; same number of lanes, no construction, no change in weather conditions, etc. The next station was back to 130kph. I did slow down, but apparently not enough. The Sixt fee for me was 39e (vice 29), VAT included ;-} Don’t recall the actual fine, and when I found the old email/link for payment of my l’avis de contravention, I found that “Le service est momentanément indisponible.”

In any event, Lesson learned. Any time I saw a digital speed sign after that I assumed there was a camera.

Cheers!

Steve