A serious conversation about burgers

Two words - fish sauce.

I find it ups the umami considerably while providing all the salt you need.

1 Like

That reminds me of a time many years ago when I went to the lake with a friend. I pre-salted the burger patties for ease of use. After my first bite I thought maybe I had mistakenly used pork sausage instead of ground beef. It was the weird texture thing.

1 Like

I’ve been using fish sauce on burgers for a while, but only for generic beef (Costco, etc). I find Flannery just doesn’t need it, only S&P for those!

My wife and daughter bought me a grinder for my B Day several years ago. I’ll check the brand when we’re back in SC this weekend.
I used to grind with my KA but no more!

I’ll post brand and pics—it was not crazy expensive.

1 Like

This. Couldn’t agree more.

With regard to the density of Flannery burger due to the wrapping, I throw it in a bowl and use an electric mixer to loosen it up (and, if I’m blending in some bison) before I form patties. It works well, if not a small annoyance. The quality and flavor of the Flannery burger is more than worth it, IMO.

Curious , if anyone has tried the method of extrusion, then taking the strands of the grind wrap them in a plastic and chilling them and then cutting them. Kinda like an end grain burger? Some cheffy guy does that

I don’t buy the premise that it makes for a more tender burger. Maybe more loosely packed, but it’s not like any burger I have ever had was tough to chew. Plus, I don’t think their are many long strands of muscle fiber left in meat that has been ground. It’s not like a grinder goes with the grain or against the grain. It randomizes. So lining up the strands of ground meat and then slicing ‘across the grain’ is hooey.

1 Like

You mean like a mixer you mix cake batter with?

Agreed. Especially if you have any dry aged in the blend there’s no reason to use fish sauce.

This is the body of the machine.
The rest looks pretty typical, with a hopper/multiple dies and cutters, etc.
Also has a sausage funnel and a foot control feed.

Coupla hundred bucks on Amazon.

Looks like something you’d see in a Fallout game. Cool.

Yes, although I have a hand mixer and not a stand mixer.

1 Like

If I bought one of these my wife and niece would die of laughter.

My wife bought it for me!
Hey…wait a minute…
blush

She’s not laughing at you, she’s laughing…. Oh, who’s kidding whom, she’s laughing at you.

1 Like

Same. Easy to use and works very well. Like others here, I prefer to grind immediately before cooking. While I use a variety of cuts, depending on pricing and how things look on a given day, I find boneless shortribs are often my favorite. Local stores tend to occasionally have them at about the same price as ground beef, so a bit of a no-brainer.