A night at Bern's Steakhouse

For the record, Foley did not make that wine.

I believe that this is a mistake, esp. with Bordeaux. There are a lot of really well priced Bordeauxs, as you found with the 61. The key is finding a retailer who knows them, not having a big wine budget. For Burgundy, look to good producers in appellations like Santenay, Beaune (Gaunoux makes a nice village Beaune for example), St. Aubin (for white) and the Cotes du Chalonaise (e.g., Rully, Givry, Mercury). Not everything is priced like Latour and Romanee Conti and these have been the best wine regions in the world for 500-1000 years for a reason.

And, you live in Chicago so if you want great value in red or white Burgundy, go to Flickingers during a sale and get Dublere.

Scott, Howard is right. You can still find plenty of classic Bordeaux, some with age on them, for very good prices. For example, the 2010 Cantemerle, most any vintage of Sociando Mallet and even more recent vintages like 2014 had many Classified Growths at $50 and under. This year I have also done a lot of backfilling at all price points, but for your budget, in the under $60 range, I grabbed 1983 Cantemerle, 1986 Sociando, 1989 Chasse Spleen, 2000 La Louviere and various others. These are very good wines with excellent typicity, drinking very well right now at fair prices. I have also backfilled on various vintages of Lanessan in the 1990s, at a max of $25 each. Bordeaux is not all about the hyped wines.

Sorry…I was refencing the 74 inglenook cab…my mistake

Ahh, no worries [cheers.gif] I thought Foley made the Charbono, but naturally I could have had my vintages wrong. The 75 Ingelnook Cab was very nice. Never tried the 74.

Interesting, I didn’t know all that. I guess I need to do some homework there.

A couple of good threads to help you get started:

Robert, is there a better recent thread on value Bordeaux?