A more 'contemporary' designed wine bottle basket - any reccs?

I agree, not expensive enough for Todd.

1 Like

I use a similarly cheap one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYQWGTM

I’ve used both. I like the version I listed a bit more because of its shallower angle and smaller footprint. The version you listed cradles the bottle a bit sturdier. But you’re really splitting hair at that point. They both get the job done exactly the same

May I refer you to the decanting thread? :wink:

Not just a question of if you haven’t had time to stand it up for a while. Because the bottle isn’t going from vertical to horizontal, the wine isn’t slopping around in the bottle, and the sediment just slides down the side. You get almost zero turbidity right to the very last drop if you pour reasonably carefully. I hate suspended sediment in wine, so I buy wire baskets in French antique stores whenever I see them. I have around a dozen with bottles in at any one time in the cellar so I can pick something that’s all set to open when the mood strikes me.

To give you an idea, this is the last pour, just before the sediment reached the lip of the bottle, of a 1980 DRC Richebourg, a wine which has quite a bit of very fine sediment:

1980 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

2 Likes

Here I thought I was weirdly excessive in having three cradles for when I wanted to open up multiple older bottles at once. A dozen pre-loaded with bottles is astounding.
[worship.gif] [worship.gif] [worship.gif]

1 Like

How do you pour wine with this rack? It seems like you’ve got to grab the bottle which defeats the purpose of the decanting basket?

Decant your wine, ditch the basket.

$337 is actually dirt cheap for Kogod!

I can vouch for these, used for literally thousands of bottles.

Modern and pretty sleek. Flip around and it fits magnums.

Cool-looking glass; which one is it?

Does anyone else feel like this smells of a BerserkerDay new business offer for next year? If only I had some extra time to pull together a side project (kids and real work get in the way, you know?). I only say this because I have had the exact same thought about why wine baskets all look like something from a Cracker Barrel gift shop. If someone makes a reasonably priced (~$75) and well designed basket I think people would be all over it.

Even the other options on this thread are just bent chrome frames which is a bit utilitarian and not generally something I’d want to put on a table for a fancy dinner party.

TW

You still get a better yield of clean wine if you decant from a basket than from standing. Admittedly, we’re talking about only a sip or two; but if it’s e.g. 1982 Pichon Lalande I want those two more sips!

1 Like

Conterno Sensory

William just waltzes in here and flops down a word like turbidity. I’m out.

Excellent, thanks!!!

I’ve got a litigation matter involving that. True, and no buddies involved.

It appears that the metal “basket” is now sold out.

Why would you even look at it? You never worry about clarity! Shake and bake, baby!

[cheers.gif]

For the last two sips, how about a coffee filter, a decanting funnel and a decanter?

When I am paid, I look! And perform. Otherwise I am lazy, but with an agenda.