A few very tasty Tuesday night Burgs along the beach of Newport

Short notice dinner planned less than 24 hours before. Drove 60 miles deep into the Orange Curtain in the center of Newportitis. More silicone than an Intel plant and more tanned leather skin than a fine Italian shoe factory. Many wild Cougars on the hunt. But the table next to us, the man just proposed to his new fiancee and all was well. Also good catching up with Mr. Curry and Mr. Nordoff

On to the wines!

• 1997 Jean-Jacques Confuron Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru (6/12/2013)
    This wine really developed with time. Two hours in, it had this beautiful floral nose mixed in with meat, mushrooms, and dark red fruit. The palate was in great balance, full of sweet red berry fruit and cooling acidity. Had the complexity on it that you could only get when you hit the sweet spot of secondary characteristics/primary fruit mixed in together as the texture is rustic but silky. There was this savory finish that mixed in perfectly with that wonderful fruit. I’m sure you can hold this wine for longer but boy is it drinking well now.
  • 2002 Henri Boillot Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (6/12/2013)
    To me I thought the bottle was a little off/oxidized. It rang a bit hollow on the mid palate. Had that core sweetness and citrus concentration that you have in Boillot Batard but none of that big punch you in the face power to follow it up. Picked up some acidity as the night wore on with a touch more apple and lemon zest but nothing like the prior bottles I’ve had.
  • 2008 Maison Patrice Rion Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (6/12/2013)
    Sharp contrast to the 06 berthau I had last week. While the Berthau was floral and elegant, the Rion was big and masculine. On the nose initially it threw off a deep dark fruit with chocolate, as the nose developed an earthier component came in to tone down the sweetness of the nose. On the palate it was heavy and dense with sweet dark fruit and an almost rustic nature on the finish with dusty tannins. The palate had a burliness to it, wasn’t expecting it at all when I saw Amoureuses. It was still tasty, but it’s definitely a big wine.
  • 2010 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/12/2013)
    Killing babies in the name of science. Wonderful vosne nose, with spice and bright red fruit that just developed and expanded over time. Deeply focused cool fruit on the palate right now with tons of concentration on the attack. A bit high in acid right now (obviously) as everything is really bright and high toned. Hard to keep your hands off a wine when it tastes so good right now.

About Killing babies! Will open a young ’10 Malconsorts (not Dujac) en ’06 Gaudichots soon! … As always Great notes! Thanks Fu for posting!

From your description, I’m guessing you dined at Mastro’s? That is ground zero for silver-haired guys in Ferraris and the surgically-enhanced blondes looking to catch their eye.

Many of my H. Boillot 2002 whites were not kind to me as I needed to rush to drink them up after they were 4-5.

[snort.gif] champagne.gif I got there first and they asked if I wanted to sit at the bar, I took a peak in and I knew it would not be a place for me :smiley:. There were a fair number of Asians celebrating occasions tho. Also full of plastic ;D

On a roll Fu…climax next week??! [drinkers.gif]

I can just imagine Mr Fu and his Burgs as the ultimate Cougar bait.

Funny…I thought the same. The stretch along PCH between Mastros and 333 South is prime cougar habitat, and Mastros is Ground Zero. .

The bar at Mastros is certainly not a scene for most of us here, but it’s quite amusing to watch.

Fu brings a double mag of Rombauer Chardonnay with him when he rolls in Mastro’s, and a cougar party spontaneously breaks out around him.

The table behind us was actually a group of young well augmented young ladies celebrating a bday. Didn’t have anything for them :smiley:

Good to see you Charlie. I thought all three of the reds were very nice, the Rion Amoureuses showing much more power than when I first had it on release. I finished this and the Dujac the next night and both had blossomed, changed and were excellent. They should both age well.
The RSV was fantastic, especially for a 97. I have not had very many, but every RSV I have tasted has been fantastic.