A Few Oregon Chardonnays

Don’t forget about 7 of Hearts Mahonia chard; Matello’s Richard’s Cuvée is quite nice, too.

Bergstrom and Argyle should be in this conversation, Eyrie for longevity. I tasted a 1975 Eyrie Chardonnay a couple of years ago that was in great condition.
MrBigj

Jason, you are correct. They left it for 15 months in barrel, tried warming things up, racking, and no dice. I think it’s interesting that a number of the 2011s I’ve tried have a similar flavor profile - both the Eyrie and Crowley WV are tight right now as well.

We had '11 Cristom Germaine on Sunday. I usually really like this wine but this particular bottle was creamy and sweet with practically no acidity balancing everything–yuck!

I have to admit that when I think of Oregon Chardonnay, Cristom isn’t a name that comes to mind very quickly. Pinot, yes, Chardonnay, no.

For me with Cristom I stick to Pinot. I have had a few syrahs that were okay but the whites are generally sub par for me.

J

Looking forward to my vacation in Oregon next month combining camping with of course some wine tasting and a tour at St. Innocent.

Glenn, when you are in Oregon you should come by, we are right around the corner from St Innocent and we can barrel taste the 2012 Pinot & Chardonnays.

Erica
Walter Scott

Sounds good Erica.

Knocked out a bottle of this over the weekend with some halibut cheeks and really thought it was a brilliant bottle of wine (with an especially attractive price).

Not to thread drift but I got a bottle of Walter Scott Pinot from Alberty and it was a producer I had not hear of so was going in “blind”. It was a wonderful surprise.

Jason

+1. Short note here.

Just popped this. They seem to do a heavier oak treatment on the reserve (based on nothing but my thought). But I like it. On the richer side Loving the “flinty” nose. My other bottle will go night night 6-10 years.

Do you have thoughts on the 09 Chardonnays across the board (all producers). I skipped on the pinot but I think the Chardonnays could be good.

Jason

We had an '09 St Innocent Chard last night with dinner. I didn’t take any notes, but we found it enjoyable and I took a mental note to pick up another one and pay more attention.

What Greg said. I’ve been on the Clos Electrique and the Abbey Ridge Chards for a while, but had not tried the Dundee Hills. Picked up a bottle a few months ago and finally got around to it last night. Unbelievable quality for $18. Just pure, intense, beautiful fruit. I’m starting to think JP’s Chards are even better than his Pinots.

Is there a place to taste the Cameron lineup in PDX or WV? I am going to be in the area July 4-7 and would like to try these out. On the tentative lineup for visits: Walter Scott, Crowley, Westrey, Belle Pente, Brick House, 7 of Hearts. For the locals, is this feasible over 2.5 days? TIA.

Special events aside, no, not that I know of. Not even at Cameron. You might get some barrel samples if you’re lucky enough to land an appointment.

Good line-up. All feasible. Not a local…but… You could slip in to Scott Paul with their tasting room just around the corner from 7 of Hearts room. Both are near Belle Pente. Most of the places on your list are appointment only. Eyrie and Matello are very close to Westrey.

RT