A few days in Vienna - Wachau?

Is first week of Nov too late in the season for a satisfying trip to Wachau wine region? I’ve read alternately that it could be harvest time for some or that it could also be approaching the time that places could be closing up shop for the winter.

Any current gasthaus recommendations in Vienna?

Based on what was communicated to me while we were there, much more likely to be in harvest than closing up shop for winter. Early November is typical harvest time in the Wachau although that has been earlier the past couple of vintages due to warmer weather.

Some of the tourist type stuff starts shutting down. For example, we were in Durnstein in Oct and quite a few shops were closed and more said they were shutting down for winter.

That could all be a positive depending on your intentions.

Haven’t been to the Vienna Woods since 1970. Is it worth a late afternoon?

In Vienna now. Our travel agent got us a good rate for a suite at the Bristol. Against my better judgment, we agreed to stay here after previous stays at the Sacher, RitzCarlton, and Meridien. The Bristol is a dump, filled with American tourists using SPG points for a “five star” Vienna hotel experience. I wouldn’t stay here again for free. Avoid.

On a happier note, we ate another great meal at Steirereck tonight. Never disappoints.

Addendum: The condition of the Bristol is a shame, given its history and location. I’ll amend my original comment to reflect that the Bristol may be a dump, but one from which I watch the Opera nightly on the giant live broadcast screen from the balcony of my room. Carmen, tonight.