A few choice dinner wines: 02 DP, 04 Krug, 08 Rougeard, 94 Hommage, 00 Sorrel, 07 red label

Double-ditto on not buying, but I doubt I sell or trade.

What trophy vintages of PLL would you back-fill?

Nicely done!! That sounds like an awesome dinner theme. Few months ago I brought the 98 CB and 04 Poyeux together to a dinner so we could do side by side. Although the CB was singing that night, I was blown away by the purity of the Rougeard and to my palate that night was every bit the equal of the regal CB, although the CB should ultimately prove the better wine (I was the minority opinion of the 5 tasters BTW).

Rougeard is hard to assess young, at least to me; never would have seen the 04 integrating like it has. Glad I wasn’t able to taste before buying as I probably would have passed!

I’d trade for Rougeard, especially if vintage(s) that I don’t own or am looking to add more to. Ping me, Salil, on what you’d like to get rid of (caveat: I don’t have Cheval Blanc nor PLL to trade).

It’s the best Krug they put out since 2002. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the 95, 98, and 00 more, though that may be more of a function of the bottle age. (96 is obviously the top.) I still think the 03 should not have been made, but then again, every finite set has a minimal element.

Happy to know someone has had some god 96 Krug lately as the last 4 bottles of 2 6 packs I bought were oxidized. Two 98s were fabulous.

I had a great bottle of 2008 Croix Boissée not long ago.

2008 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (10/1/2018)
Beautiful ruby color with no bricking. Ripe cherries on the nose peak through a bed of leafy earth while underneath it all is a strong line of chalk that is the signature of this site for me. Really cool, linear flavors. Tannin is mostly resolved with just enough of a structural frame to hang the fruit. Sharp acidity that lifts the fruit which comes out more with air. After about an hour, it is all bright cherry and minerals with a touch of herbs and flowers. Really excellent and in a great spot right now. This is not considered a good vintage in Chinon, but goes to show what a great site and vigneron mean to a wine. (93 pts.)

Haven’t tried any 2008 Rougeards lately. I did send a few off to auction to test the water on the prices I’ve been seeing. As much as I love Rougeard I don’t need all of the bottles I have at those prices.

Do you have a guess about when the 2002 Dom will reach a drinking window? I always enjoy and learn from your notes. I am 80 and want to grow up to be you.

That’s a great side-by-side. The ‘98 CB does need a lot more time, but it’s not so secret any more how good 2004 was for Loire Cab Franc, including Rougeard. Love that Poyeaux. Wish I owned some.

This was my experience too at a recent dinner with 2004, 2002, 2000 and 1998. My ranking was 1998>2000>2004>2002, although it was a toss-up between the 1998 and the 2000.

Prognostication is a fool’s game, but I would not open any of my own bottles for at least 3-5 years. As always, other people’s bottles are fair game :wink:

Sounds like poor storage; I’ve not experienced nor heard of oxidized 96 Krug.

thanks for the notes buddy.