A day touring a fairy tale land

Howard,

We hosted Maurice in the shop (Weygandt Wines, DC) and for a wine dinner about 8 months ago. What a fun, generous and funny man he is! I hope he got drunk enough to start telling dirty jokes–a real specialty of his. He gifted us a 1999 Albert Mann Riesling Grand Cru Furstentum. Although apples to oranges with his SGNs and especially L’Epicentre, it was special nonetheless.

Tim,

I was in the store that Saturday and originally met him then. I have bought his wines from you guys on at least two or three occasions including that day. In fact, last night I opened a 2007 Pinot Gris Rosenberg that I bought from your store.

It would be very interesting to try a 12 year old Furstentum from Mann. I bet it is quite good.

By the way, if you read my notes from Burgundy Day 3, I tasted in Burgundy at another producer I originally met at your store - Cecile Tremblay. She is a real up and coming superstar.

Agreed. I think the best wine/food pairings of any region my wife & visited on our trip to France 10 years ago were at restaurants in Alsace.

Sorry, sometimes I don’t remember names as well as I should. Todd described you to me and it’s clear to me now. And no argument from me re: Cecile Tremblay. Although imo she’s stepped past up and coming and is a true superstar. But maybe she needs a few more great vintages before that can be said. I don’t know, how do you determine star status of a winemaker? Consistency? Great vintages? Great bottlings? Terrific wine in “off vintages”? Perhaps this is for another thread.

Regardless, I’m glad you were able to visit both Maurice and Cecile. While very different personalities, both are very thought provoking and fun to taste with.

Tim, I will make sure to introduce myself next time I come into the store.

You are right Howard! Loved that wine so much that after the dinner, I took the empty bottle home and it nows stands proudly with other empties in the basement. [cheers.gif]

in late September, we’ll be ready to drink more serious wines.

Great notes! I must admit I love Les Chaignots. Very jealous, sounded like an awesome evening.