A Couple of smoky OR 2020s

Disclosing and discounting seem to be an appropriate solution. Hopefully 2022 treats you better!

I’ve been tasting a lot of Oregon samples recently and tried a handful of 2020 Pinot Noir. They don’t give away much in the nose, or palate entry. They do tend to drop off a cliff in the mid palate. I wish I wasn’t seeing this as it isn’t a wine making problem and I won’t review them.

Violin Wine out of Eola Amity is making a similar wine - an MV (multi-vintage). I haven’t tasted it, but here is the write up. I don’t see any mention of smoke or why the wine was made in this way.

“The “80/20” will go down as the highest percentage of Eola-Amity Hills (92%) of any previous version, augmented by the fact that all 20% of 2021 wine came from Koosah Vineyard, the highest elevation Pinot noir being grown in the AVA. 2020 Vintage: 11% Koosah, 20% Temperance Hill, 22% Sylvia’s, 6% Justice, 13% Witness Tree, and 8% First Man (Tualatin Hills AVA). By vineyard alone, Koosah represents the biggest portion of the blend. Though it sits at such high elevation, ’21 was a successful year for the young site, and produced a rounded and vibrant texture that was well suited to marry with the highly dense and structured 2020 wines. (It is worth noting our decision to not produce vineyard designate wines from Pinot noir this vintage, using pieces in this blend that would normally stand alone. In particular, the old vines from Temperance Hill, Witness Tree, and Justice Vineyard help extend the depth of tannin and “soulfulness” in this addition to dramatic lengths).

It was my goal to wait as long as possible for bringing the two vintages together in order that the 2021 Koosah had at least three months of barrel aging and natural clarification. While the 2020 Pinots were assembled in tank in early December after 14 months in barrel, the “MV” blend was only made a week before bottling on January 26th, 2020. I have never before planned to blend mature wines with youthful wines, and I suspect we will see some amount of random expression in bottle until the elements have had time to find their collective “voice”. I believe these elements are of the highest quality however, and have not been impeded by the use of fining agents, adjuncts or high pressure filtration, allowing us the opportunity to enjoy a wine made from the same sites, but over two growing seasons instead of one. By utilizing the same techniques that have brought forth our sense of style over the last seven vintages, we hope to have found a purity of regional expression through the lens of Pinot noir for an eight time under the Violin brand.

Barrel spice and raspberry come together in the nose, with savory, floral and “sous bois” underpinnings laying a framework for darker, muddled berry fruits. A well integrated core of acidity produces succulence and juiciness on entry and across the middle, displaying elegant palate balance and edgy, almost chewy tannins that extend the finish. “Compact” is the term I think best fits the texture of this wine, a true reflection of the minimal yields in 2020, resulting in layered intensity, classic weight, and general refinement."

I’m a big Cristom fan and was up there tasting a few months back with Steve. I’ve tried their 2020 several times now, and I tend to agree, it probably shouldn’t have been made. I’ve tried plenty of 2020’s now and while I certainly want to support wineries that have had an extremely tough go of it the last several years, I won’t be buying any 2020’s at this point. The smoke if not noticeable up front tends to creep in at the back end and linger. Also, those that don’t have noticeable smoke seem to have been manipulated to the point of losing much of their charm and become somewhat nondescript.

PGC has a lot of groupies. That one sold out fast.

1 Like

Having tried the 2020 Colene Clemens wines (multiple times, frequently blind, as my wife works there), the Dopp Creek is the only one that I consistently find smokey notes on. Their higher end bottlings (Adriane and Victoria) do not have any discernible notes of smoke or ash.

2020 is definitely a vintage of “try before you buy”, and also drink them sooner than later. We might cellar a few bottles of various 2020s just for “science” and to see what happens in 10 years.

I’ve only had a few inexpensive / grocery store brands that friends and family have served. Underwood was terribly smoky and undrinkable. Willamette Valley Vineyards was not as bad, but still unpleasant. Another as well, which I can’t recall the producer. I’ve only had 3 and all of them were affected. I know most wineries simply can’t afford to dump tainted wine, but I have to imagine they are also going to lose customers. The Underwood was truly DNPIM. I’d expect higher quality / more reputable labels to put out better wine, but definitely try before you buy. And on the inexpensive end, just avoid altogether.

Had the 2020 Cristom WV back in May, and noticed the smoke immediately. Interestingly enough my wife said she did not seem to think it very prominent at all… This thread seems to show i wasn’t imagining it.

This is going to be tougher and tougher to watch, me thinks. And to those who have pondered whether ‘respectable’ wineries would ‘knowingly’ release smoke tainted wines - threads like these will just fuel more speculation unfortunately . . .

I recently had a 2020 Ken Wright Willamette Valley. It was undrinkable, not due to the smoke taint but rather the excessive amount of oak (which mostly covered up the smoke taint).

Thanks for the mention Chris, and this is good dialogue regarding the “smoke tainted” 2020 vintage in the WV. It is true that in my objective tasting notes is is not necessary to mention “smoke flavor”. I focus on site and elevage in describing my wines, and try to make an honest tasting note based around flavor and aroma. I’ve had enough experience with the tone/flavor/feeling of the what the smoke left us that I stopped trying to ignore its presence, but rather speak about the wine as a whole, (in a more objective sense). I believe we have produced a very compelling bottling and delicious wine at the $30 price point. (The 20% from 2021 does not “hide” the smoke, but rather integrates the texture so the finish and mid palate is more fresh and fruit driven. In this way, we still see the reflection of the texture and intensity of 2020, which other than the smoke would be an absolutely incredible vintage, Chardonnay certainly speaks to this as well).

I agree with Jim Anderson, I prefer to make wines from our Valley when smoke is not part of the equation. I don’t care for it, but as an objective character in my “MV” “8020”, my customers are having quite good experiences and I don’t anticipate having problems moving through the 750 cases I produced. That said, I suspect the more astute consumers who follow threads like this would prefer other vintages, myself included. That said, in a few years I will blind Chris James on this 80/20 wine and I know he will be pleasantly surprised by its elegance.

To maintain my approach in being transparent in our production, this is what I wrote to my mailing list in introducing the three cuvees I did bottle, so while you won’t find my admission in “tasting notes”, I make no attempt to hide it from my customer base, and this is certainly true should you come and taste this wine at the winery.

"Our decision was to make the wines carefully (as always!), but not use any mitigation techniques involving additions of oak chips, carbon or other fining agents. We used fewer juice lees in Chardonnay, and tried to press Pinot noir off skins a few days earlier than we might normally. We wanted to stay true to our style and have a chance to better evaluate the “impact” of the smoke during aging of the wines without extra variables to consider.

And we are glad we did. The Chardonnays are racier than their ’19 counterparts, with slightly higher acidity, lower alcohol, and wonderful concentration and salinity. The 2020 Pinots are especially compact, well structured and intense, perfumy wines. The “smoke character” integrates a unique savoriness in the wines, which had a more obvious influence on the texture of Pinot. To counterbalance this feeling, we decided to blend in 20% from the young 2021 vintage rather than try to fine or strip it away, also adding a fresher fruit character in the mix. We believe this has led us to a finished wine that is more true to our style, that allowed our textures to fully evolve and express their gorgeous, intense cores, while reflecting the many wonderful qualities of the sometimes harrowing vintage."

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in Will. I have no doubt that it is a quality and tasty wine, just like all the wines you produce. I only added this as another interesting approach to 2020.

Cheers

1 Like

I concur with some very nice white wines from the 2020 Oregon vintage. The Pinot Noir so far, not so much.

Just curious, what was the perception of the taint to the folks that drink the supermarket brands regularly. Did it stick out to those who may not be looking for it necessarily?

Y’all got me to open a bottle of Walter Scott ‘Bois Moi’ just now. Pretty good wine. Definitely a ‘drink me now’ profile with good acid-fruit balance. It has a slight note of char or toast that I associate with either reduction or how the barrels were prepped, could be smoke, but not readily identifiable as such. I am not opposed to buying 2020 whites if this is indicative, and the price is right.

I think many/most whites were not effected by smoke?

1 Like

The two molecules that you listed are only referenced as markers for smoke taint, and they have a moderately poor correllation for smoke taint and also occur in new barrels.

There arealso a series of cresols that occur, and a new study from Elizabeth Tomasino in Oregon. She has isolated a series of sulfur based phenols that correllate more significantly to smoke taint, and hopefully with some research methods of treating these thio-phenols will be developed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I only mentioned those only as they are commonly known. In my prior life our team isolated several of the “ashy-ashtray” notes (chemicals), not in tainted wine but in highly roasted coffee (you can probably guess the client). What we learned back then, 1999-2002 was that the desirable aroma of roasted coffee is extremely volatile, while the strong stale ashtray type notes are powerful sulfurs and stable as a rock.

I’m pretty sure though not certain that some of the smoke tainted molecules are the same as those in highly roasted coffee.

Wishing for the best for you and all WV Owners-Winemakers.

Tom

1 Like

My sister bought the Underwood and was the first to taste it and noticed something was off and she didn’t like it. When I smelled it and checked the vintage, I knew right away. She said she had a previous vintage and liked it in the past, but this one was not good.

The WVV was not quite as overt. My friend that opened it tasted it and didn’t say anything - but I could see him looking at his glass and he seemed kinda confused. Then I smelled it, and the smoke was immediately apparent, but not super offensive, just enough to make you not really want to keep drinking it.

So for both of them, they noticed something wasn’t right without me saying anything first. If I hadn’t been there for the Underwood, I know my sister wouldn’t have drank it and wouldn’t purchase it again. For the other one, my friend may have drank it, but would not have bought it again.

I’ll just note that a 2020 Drouhin Cloudline PN showed no obvious problem.

1 Like