A couple of '80 Cabs (Birth Year Party)

Agree- I’m hoping to try one sometime from one of the better producers as a birth year curiosity. Given that I’ve had a couple of quite respectable Rieslings from 1974 and 1977, who knows?

Thank you for the tip on the Donnhoff 1987s - if I ever see them. High acidity is absolutely never a problem for me unless the wine is poorly made and devoid of fruit, which is never going to be the case with Donnhoff.

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for a note from you when you find an occasion to open this bottle. Sounds positive with the color. I’ve never even seen a Kabinett-Eiswein, so that in itself sound be fascinating.
Curious if this is the Rausch or another site?

Anyway, I’ll just have to take one for the team and buy a 1980 German Riesling or two, depending on what’s available and ship-able over here.

The wines were certainly not devoid of fruit in the 1990s when I drank mine, but not sure now. If you like older German wines with fruit and lots of acidity, find 1990s. I have gone through many of them in my life. I actually have one Donnhoff Auslese from 1990 left.

1 Like

Imagine the 1990 Donnhoffs are excellent. The oldest wine I’ve had from Donnhoff was a 1991 Brucke Auslese from 375 about a decade ago, and it was quite good then - although there were some nice 1991s, that year paled compared to 1990. Pretty hard to go wrong with a 1990 from a top producer, and pretty hard to go wrong with anything from Donnhoff.

1 Like

I’ll post notes on all of them in a seperate thread, but the Dom was good! Bottle was NOT in the best shape (got it from someone who had traveled all over with it), and despite the bubbles being completely gone, it only showed hints of oxidization and we all really enjoyed it. Super brief note below, but I’d guess well stored bottles would be drinking VERY well.

‘A 40th Bday bottle, that went incredibly well with home boiled crab legs! Not in the best shape and all the bubbles were completely gone, but the wine was still solid with slightly oxidized notes of sour lemons, orchard fruit, and a hint of caramelized sugar. Big shot of acidity on the finish has kept this fairly fresh and very enjoyable. Extra point for my Birthday :slight_smile:

1 Like