A Couple Cornas: 2015 Paris Geynale, 2012 Cuchet-Beliando

But he says himself that it’s aged in concrete and sees no wood

Lyle may have been quoting me. Or vice versa. I cannot recall. In any event, I buy my Coochie from the greatest wine retailer in the history of retailers. 8.

[scratch.gif] Maybe Lyle will drop by and clear things up. This is supposed to be old school Cornas so not sure how concrete plays a role.

Concrete is made of sand, which is older than wood.

:wink:

It doesn’t matter too much. My favorite Northern Rhones seem to come from old vines and sit in mostly used oak for 18-24 months. That said, I’m pretty sure I’ve never had something aged in concrete for six years–so that might be sublime too. Just glad to be on Lyle’s list. You know it’s a small producer when JL-L’s never had it and there isn’t even a mention of it on drinkrhone.com. Happy to see some Fass love on the board. Sometimes he asks to not post offers but I was just trying to clear up the concrete vs. oak.

1 Like

Lyle has been killing my wine budget recently.

Between just Lyle and Greg–I have 88 bottles of 2015 Northern Rhone. They’ve got my ticket for the ride too but not complaining. I look at it as hopefully I’m investing in future happiness; 88 great evenings in 8-20 years…

Anyone try the 15 geynale and 15 Gerard? How do they compare in modernity? (I know they’re from different regions)

"Concrete is made of sand, which is older than wood."

Including petrified?

I’ve had a few Cornas wines, produced in the early eighties, that tasted like they were brought up in sand and aged in blue Spruce barrels!

Btw, Robert Michel made the Cuchet-Beliando wines until 2007, when Guillaume Gilles took over. JLL:

CATHERINE CUCHET-BELIANDO

Catherine’s great grandfather was Alphonse Jaboulet of the Jaboulet Vercherre family of Burgundy, and merchants in Rhône wines in my youth. She has a cellar for raising in rue Pied la Vigne in Cornas. There is one terraced plot of 3.5 hectares on Chaillot. Whole bunch vinification here. One-third of the crop goes to Cuchet-Beliando, the other two-thirds to Guillaume Gilles. Sales have traditionally been by word of mouth. The curiosity is that the wines are stored in bottle for three to four years before release – the 2003 was put on sale in 2009, for instance, and in 2018 it is the 2013 that is the current vintage on sale. In the past they were vinified by Robert Michel. Guillaume Gilles has vinified them since 2007. The wines around the turn of the century were a little rustic. There are 1,000 to 1,500 bottles in any one year.

2 Likes

Zach, that 2000 Cuchet-Beliando Cornas you opened on Friday night was very good

Just popped a 2012 Cuchet-Beliando Cornas. Man this is good drinkin’. Classically Cornas in character, there’s beautiful red-raspberryish fruit swirled with wild animale Cornas feral and vegetal scents. It’s so fresh and long, though soft in texture, very clingy but not in a tannic way - just extract - the fruit so sweet. This is both intellectual and pleasing. Megan (my wife) loves it too - seriously good wine.

Great rec on the 12. Coravined a few glasses tonight, textbook cornas. The sweet fruit took a good hour in the glass to emerge so will be interesting to see how the rest of the bottle evolves once I actually open it. Definitely needs some air.

Single bottle of 2012 Cuchet up on Flatiron’s website for 130 right now