a basement discovery

OK. Finally got around to opening a bottle. Found a little more history. The wine came from the Mather Estate in Rossford, Ohio (outside of Toledo). The assumption is that it was purchased from the distributer and stored in the estate’s passive wine cellar until my friend bought it at the estate sale 25 years ago and he stored it in his passive wine cellar (unfinished basement). The condition of the wine seems to indicate that storage was OK.

1934 Bouchard Sparking Burgundy (Beaune Cote D’Or). The label condition is excellent. The fill is just at the bottom of the foil. The cork disintegrated so into the decanter. Bubbles long gone. Cloudy brown with green edges. Not shy at all. Strong nose of plums. Bright flavors of plum with chocolate notes. Drinks like a light port. At about two hours, sour cherries took over then a slow fade.

I have no experience with wine this old, but I was surprised by the intensity and concentration of the flavors.
IMG_0675.jpeg
IMG_0655.jpeg

Fascinating story and excellent sleuthing by Mark.

Great to get the report, Mark!

Back in the 80s, I picked up a few bottles of what turned out to be sparkling Vouvray from the same era (it may even have been '34) as part of a mixed lot. The fills were terrible, and some corks had disintegrated, but one with a better fill was potable and even had some freshness – not all cooked plums. So you never know.