50th Birthday wines tasting note thread..

Deleted.

Deleted.

Well done, Steen.
You had a great bottle of 1967 Latour !
To get that note from a '67 is good. I’ve tried two, and both were damaged (corks were ok though).

Regarding re-corking.
Latour, certainly Lafite, and other firsts (also DRC), had a re-corking policy, actively running up through the Nineties. This has almost completely stopped.
Imagine the big boys bottling 300-400,000 btls/year. The responsibilities and cost of workforces are huge.
To let the re-corkings be managed by various importers, is IMO not an optimal solution. Then it’s just as well done (correctly) by Yourself. (Old days, the butlers job, to re-condition the low bottles in the cellar.)

It is hard to determine when to change a cork ! And just think about the potential risk of contaminating the old wine with new bacteria or TCA/TBA.
I’m in the “leave the bottle alone” camp. Many older wines like 70-100y old, are often seen drinking fine with original cork seals.

I have some old Latours, but only this one has had the chateau treatment of new cork and label:
1937 Latour new cork and label 1990 .jpg
Here a link (WS) about re-corking. The Perils of Recorking | Wine Spectator

Best regards, and thanks for all the notes. [cheers.gif]
Søren

Deleted.

Happy Birthday Steen! Like you, I hit my 50th this year. I hope I have as much luck as you and have a few 1967’s on tap: Ch. Cantenac Brown, Ch. Margaux, Calon Segur and a Kopke Colheita

Deleted.