$50k worth of grapes stolen from Virginia vineyard

Im sure I heard from someone that the leaves are used to create an oil of some sort.

Yeah but all of that should have been wrapped in correct? When you buy fruit you pay a set price, you donā€™t add on costā€¦and even backing that out, letā€™s just say $10k per ton? Letā€™s say it is $50k all in, how much do they sell their wine for?

Doesnā€™t sound like a profitable wineryā€¦

How much is expensive Oregon Pinot fruit?

Ok, so I donā€™t want to be a jerk, but on their website they make a wine called Crimson ā€˜a Burgundy style blend of Cabernet, Merlot and Cab Francā€™ā€¦

I think this is the situation where they are way overstating what the theft was worth.

It sucks that that happened but $50k seems like a ridiculous #ā€¦

Mmm I love me that Cab Franc from Burgundy

It may be that they are overstating the monetary value of their loss, but I believe the sad report.

It may be that the hurt in their hearts led them to inflate theit financial loss - on the other hand it may be that they winery does operate at a loss so the losses are factored in, too.

But bottom line the financials of the business is a less relevant than the ultimate fact of the heist (reminiscent of Musar).

Personally I think they were stolen to be resold.

There is a lot of sale of bulk grapes in Va.

Fraternity heist occurred to me too but that would easily be found out.

It takes an experienced picker 6 hours to pick ~1.5 Tons.
2.5 tons of fruit is about 150-160 cases of wine.

Well, and not to be a jerk again, but the property was up for sale and the vineyards were directly in front of the houseā€¦

If you check out the website itā€™s hard to believe the storyā€¦ but if true a sad taleā€¦

Agreed that it doesnā€™t add up. The question then is ā€œwhere did the grapes go?ā€

Right church, wrong pew.

Exactly what my cynic ass thought when I first heard of it lol.

The Smuckers Boys Mafia strikes again.

As others pointed out, ā€œlabor, supplies, crop and lost wine potentialā€ is double counting their loss (at least). The vineyard is right next to the house and tasting room (and presumably the winery). But, apparently the owners donā€™t live at the property (at least, did not stay there Monday evening). Unclear whether anyone else lives there.

At least a couple of articles claim the thieves replaced the netting after harvesting the grapes.

A crop of 2-2.5 tons for 3 acres seems a bit low, especially in what looks like a fertile area. It may be these were just the whites. The 200 lbs in picking bins they salvaged were all from white varieties.

-Al

Having done a few foolish fraternity pranks in my youth, this doesnā€™t sound like something that they really would do. Lifting random interesting items was always a traditional rite of passage, but hours of hard agricultural labor was never on the list.

Iā€™m sorry for this areas loss, but something seems odd about the whole tale.

Perhaps they were stolen to be sold as table grapes, by thieves who would not know the difference. We see a lot of vegetables/fruits sold from trucks in residential neighborhoods out here, at prices that are bizarrely cheap.

Sounds like too much work for booty thatā€™s not that valuable if sold as-is. Unless you need the money bad enough to turn to crime and your only thievery skills and tools are grape harvesting.

Or maybe a rival grower with a score to settle?

There is something not quite right. From what I see is that this vineyard had side bird netting. If that was in place it takes some serious effort to quickly get the nets up and out of the way before you pick. As mentioned I did see that the property has been up for sale. Is it possible that this is going to end up as moonshine?

Add- Iā€™m guessing someone/people had bad feelings against these winery folks and took revenge.

Winery in Washington donating grapes to make up for lost crop.

1 Like