500 ml bottles

Gerhard, a LWS here in town carries it in the half liter, but the pricing is not great so I’ve never bought.

I ordered all my '09 and '10 Pegau Reservee in 500ml, great size. In fact I have already finished the 18 bottles of '09 vintage.

Well, 0.75 l is standard in Europe (except Switzerland) since 1977 … and I think the USA has simply agreed to this norm …
Before 1977 in Germany/Austria 0.7 l was used most of the times, in Bordeaux 0.72 or 0.73 l, simliar in Burgundy …

In the 19th century app. 0.7 liter was considered as the quantity a man used to drink with a meal … but in those days the alc. was usually 10% or less (for instance in the Mosel) with residual sugar …
In 1977 The EU tried to make calculation easier with the metric system → 0.75 liter or multiple contents (1.5 l, 3 l … ) for quality wines …
Quantities of 1 l or 2 l etc. were meant for table wines / lesser wines (non-quality wines) …

I remember those bottles but Anthony hasn’t used them in quite awhile. I have a vague recollection that distributors and retailers didn’t like them.

We bottled a Chinato at Harrington Wines last year in 500ml bottles and I believe that’s been selling well, but it’s a specialty item (Nebbiolo-based digestivo) rather than a standard wine.

Widely used in Switzerland for all types, particularly along Lac Léman and the Valais. We have also seen a few who use them in Piemonte, in particular for Barberas. Elio Perone puts his Barbera d’Asti in 500s.

Edi Kante, but hard to find.