$3000 bottle

Lawrence Fairchild. Description and picture fits the bill.

Simplistic complexity. I’m sold.

I spoke to him this week. He is a CHARACTER !

That’s nothing. And this one is only 95 points. You can find 20% off coupons.

It is Todd.

It’s Lawrence Fairchild. Look at the ring in the Pic that Jancis pic and take a look at the link.

The Fairbank hypothesis makes more sense than the one about Todd. Todd doesn’t look at all like the guy in the picture.
I feel as though I retired from barrel sales too soon. If people can sell wine for $3K a bottle, who will complain about barrel prices??

What does dark electricity smell like?

" 2014 Spectre
ANDERSON CONN VALLEY VINEYARDS

The most seductive wine of the 2014 vintage. It boasts a huge concentrated ripeness, rich dark current on the nose with a finish that lasts for minutes. The tannins are gigantic but extremely soft, and necessary to balance out the fruit and oak. ?

Agreed. When I saw the pic I knew it wasn’t todd. Same as the description of the person

110V or 220V? 50 or 60Hz?

The picture above accompanied the pitch, cropped at the neck, but I have also cropped off that bottle with its zinc pewter label.

HAHAHAHAHA. This guy can’t be serious.

I did look at the website and came across this picture. Never thought of matching a big napa cab with caviar. Can’t get any classier than that!

https://www.ghosthorseworld.com/Events/Wine-Tasting-Experiences

yes, it’s electric! At least the description of such a huge wine would warn me away.

There’s one born every picosecond… at least the huckster better hope so.

Dan Kravitz

On December 17, 2008, Dan Posner arranged a “juried” blind tasting of cult cabs. You offered a wine to bring in advance, he decided who would come, and if you made the cut, you brought your wine and were invited to taste all the chosen wines, one of which was known to be Ghost Horse. I brought a '05 Futo, which deservedly ranked near the bottom. There was one twist, which was that someone offered a second Ghost Horse, so there were actually two of them.

Here are my notes on the wines. CT to the rescue again.

• 2005 Merus Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/17/2008)
    I really like this wine. Red fruit, excellent balance, tanins are not obnoxious, nose is wine not alcohol, finish is long, color is very dark. (94 pts.)
  • 2002 Araujo Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Eisele Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/17/2008)
    This wine is austere but has a lot to back it up. Needs time to age. Dark black fruits. After a while in the glass, it opens up to chocolate and roast meat notes. (93 pts.)
  • 2002 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District (12/17/2008)
    Blind. Red fruit and excellent balance. Dark intense color and long finish. Tanins there but not fierce. Very enjoyable. (93 pts.)
  • 1999 Dalla Valle Maya - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (12/17/2008)
    No notes taken but from memory this was a nice wine not great that was palatable even after already having 9 cabs, 2 champagnes and a white starter. (89 pts.)
  • 2005 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/17/2008)
    Vanilla and wood. Not a lot of stuffing and a bit thin but a reasonable wine. (89 pts.)
  • 2001 Ghost Horse Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/17/2008)
    Red fruit and funk. Too much funk on the nose for my taste. Tanins are light and a bit of fruit on the palate. (87 pts.)
  • 2005 Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon Pedregal Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (12/17/2008)
    Green pepper, more green pepper and vegetal. Not enough fruit to come through and tanins are very astringent. (87 pts.)
  • 2003 Harlan Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/17/2008)
    Blind, turns out to be my first Harlan. No big deal. Overall a light presentation without significant power. My principal taste sensation is blue cheese. After the glass was empty, I could still smell a bit of blue cheese. Short finish. (86 pts.)
  • 2005 Futo - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (12/17/2008)
    Menthol and alcohol on the nose. Too raw and not much there, strong tanins bite the tongue. Ken Vastola said it was corked and when I came back to it later I did notice a bit of the steamed wool carpet on the nose. (84 pts.)
  • 2005 Grace Family Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (12/17/2008)
    Yucch! syrupy vanilla and oak. Watch for splinters. Spoofulated. After a while, the nose and palate give way to green pepper, and I never give that descriptor so it must really be there. (81 pts.)
  • 2001 Abreu Cabernet Sauvignon Madrona Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/16/2008)
    Fruit on the nose but way too alcoholic. Astringent tanins on the tongue, some black fruit, overall a bit thin. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

IIRC, I was in the minority and the Ghost Horse wines came in Group #1 and Group #3 all blind. I think the starters were a Krug and a Salon Champagne, so it was a hell of a night. I was a tougher grader in those days, but I remember the Grace Family and the Futo were BAD. There was no Scarecrow, which I had offered as an alternative to the Futo. The guy who was supposed to bring the Scarecrow never showed up.

Making exclusive wine even more exclusive,

You guys are just mad because you’re not on the list. Get on now!

. . .leaving a sweetish beverage, with a slight overlay of vinegar. . .

Yum!!! [cheers.gif]

I would not be surprised if there was a new person peddling a $3K bottle. I’ve seen several wines introduced at ridiculous prices. We regularly have people bring us their first or second bottling of Cabernet, asking for $100.00 wholesale because it is so limited. Nobody knows the wine maker. The label was obviously done on Print Shop and no reputable magazine has tasted and rated the wine.

As for the Ghost Horse, we did his shipping for a year until he could find suitable fulfillment company with storage. Every other Monday he would deliver 14 to 17 cases of wine for use to pack and ship. Insurance was double, triple, quadruple the cost of shipping, if the buyer would pay it.

I’ve always been partial to the Apparition. The Specter needs years and the Fantome seemed to be in a dumb phase that also required time in the bottle. The GH “Napa Cab” has always been a little retro and light as opposed to the Shadow, Fantome, Apparition and Specter which are more fruit driven and higher in alcohol, usually.

You may recall that we drank my '06 Ghost Horse at a Crabtree offline in May 2014.

Dan that is the wine, and my note on it. Fortunately I have only had it once.

A few years ago one of them was clearanced somewhere at $99, does anybody have any left?