3 Bottles of Scotch - Your Recs at $60-$250

Lismore Legend 21…$79.99. I like better than much more expensive bottles and buy it by the case when I find a great price. https://www.hitimewine.net/spirits/scotch/lismore-21yr-single-malt-750-166273

Glenfarkas 25

I’m not a huge fan of Oban 14 because I think it’s like the leather seat version of the Honda Accord. It’s a solid all around scotch, it’s classed up, but it doesn’t really do any one thing well. It’s got decent smoothness, a decent flavor profile, checks all the boxes, but lacks any real wow factor. It’s also creeping in price.

Glenfarclas is a more unique flavor profile. I have not had the 25, but have had some others. When Centennial Liquor went out of business in Dallas they were selling bottles of 17 and 21 for $50 and $70 dollars. I bought them both, single last bottles on the shelf. Also a Dalmore 15 for $60. Same store I also bought a mixed case of Clarendon Hills syrah for $15 bottles a pop.

Casting a vote for Macallan Fine Oak 15 year. Or… Macallan Double Cask 12 yr. Both good at the lower end of the window. .

Scotch is such a tricky thing.

If a customer was seeking a gift of a single malt for a friend, I had to make a verbal disclaimer that most drinkers have their favorite Scotch, and any deviation from the norm might end up collecting dust on the recipient’s bar.

Now, as per your criteria (what I would get for myself), that’s a lot easier…

I loved Lagavulin 16 year old - the standard bottling. I have tried the 12 year “barrel-proof”, and it didn’t do anything for me.

Even though my favorite single malt is an Islay, I still have enjoyed softer, sweeter Speyside Scotches, etc.

Aberlourd’A’bunadh” is very nice, as are the BalvenieDouble Cask” 12 year and Balvenie’s “old” “Sherry Cask” (not the newer 15 year old; I don’t know anything about that).

I know I have tasted several independently bottled single-vintage/single-cask Scotches, but I don’t recall the company that offered them. Each was very impressive, but what truly struck me was how light in color the liquor was! I soon thereafter learned that coloring could be added to Scotch, much to my disappointment.

So, my last choice would be an independently bottled vintage/single-cask Highland single malt.

Not that it should impact your enjoyment of it, because it’s shouldn’t, but Lagavulin’s 16 yo has coloring added.