2022 Under $20.00 Wine Thread

LRA Vina Alberdi - A no brainer, opened tonight.

5 Likes

Every vintage is solid. One of the more age worthy wines in this category!

Some recent bottles from my LWS, all small production but outstanding value if you can find them:

2019 Alfredo Maestro ‘Almate’ (Imported by Jose Pastor and a perennial QPR star)
2019 L’Acino Chora Calabria IGT (Dressner import, made with Magliocco a local Calabrian variety)
2015 Vignoble Mingot ‘Pur Merlot’ (Good old fashioned “petit chateau” Bordeaux)

The Path Pinot Noir
Had this, by the glass, at one of the best restaurants in Columbus. Low expectations, but it was pleasant, with black cherry fruit and some body and paired well with a salmon entree.
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 11.09.17.jpg
I have noticed on multiple occasions that I will find a nice wine at a restuarant which seems to go with the whole experience. When I seek it out and have it without the context of the nice setting, good food and good company, it often disappoints.

Podere Poggio Scalette Chianti Classico

Still in the $17 range and a great value every vintage.

1 Like

Let’s see what’s available on BD13 for $20 or less . . .

Cheers

5 Likes

Hopefully shipping on a one bottle purchase.

Call zachy’s and get some of the inventory they are dumping before they move to a new location.

1 Like

Would put Domaine Chevalerie Diptyque on this list. Not many places carry the domaine - all near NYC - but this wine is an excellent cab franc for under $20…definitely better than the comparable Baudry or Yvonne bottlings. Think I paid $17.99 for it.

A few others I’ve liked:

• Kirkland Brunello - pretty solid at $18.99, would buy again. Didn’t fall into an overdone traps I sometimes see in brunello.
    -Chidaine Touraine - nothing fancy but very nice SB
  • Azelia Langhe. Very nice for $18-19

Not sure how available it is in the US. But if you can find it, then Domaine des Marnes Blanches, Molates Chardonnay from Jura is awesome value in this price range.

Didnt even think to mention this because I was looking at what I drank and loved.

Lots of steals on some higher end wines at that Zachys moving deal. Haven’t tried either of these yet, but they were both at $15ea.

2019 Col D’Orcia Rosso di Montalcino
2018 Feudo Montoni Sicilia Nero d’Avola Lagnusa

I was too slow to grab those brunellos, but I had heard they were very good for the price.

Bought 2 when visiting the in laws in Mobile, should’ve bought more. Don’t see them in DC at all (probably more picked over vs Mobile), but likely will get 6 if I see them. Great QPR

1 Like

2019 Podere Poggio Scalette Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (1/25/2022)
Day 1: Cork was a ton of work to get out. On the pop and pour very good and nice acidity. Dried fruits, floral, red peppers, mild spice and earth. Smooth and easy drinking wine. This would be a crowd pleaser. 90 points
Day 1: One hour in and nice transformation. Getting some nice Chianti funk along with raspberries, dried fruits, floral, mild spice and earth. Much more intense in a good way. Medium plus finish. Excellent value under $20.00. 92 points

$18.99 WineBuyer.com (No I don’t work for them)

Broke my no red wine purchases rule and bought a case. Great value and will improve, decant for an hour or so now. A great example of an Italian cabernet, IMO.

1 Like

2018 L’Ecole No. 41 Chardonnay - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (1/31/2022)
Day 1: For $12.00 this is not a bad everyday drinker. Mild oak, Carmel, apple, minerals and spice. Short finish. 87 points
Day 2: A bit better. Carmel, apple, spice, minerals and floral notes. Medium finish. Actually better at room temperature. 89 points
Day 3: Carmel, apple, spice, orange peel and minerals. Medium finish. Simple but for $12.00 hard to beat.
Recommendation: Drink over the next 3 or 4 years. (89 points)
111111.JPG

I’ve liked the Christina Grüner Veltliner for under $20 (I bought the 2019 for $19, but it is no longer available where I bought it). Nice easy drinking, simple, but very pleasant GV. Many offerings on wine-searcher from $16-20 for the 2020.

Just bought a six pack of Tensley as it was $20 with the 20% off discount! Great everyday drinker.

2020 Tensley Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (1/18/2022)
Day 1: Big style but not over the top. Black pepper, blackberries, minerals, red currants, floral and exotic spices. Medium plus finish and drinking well on a pop and pour. 92 points
Day 2: Fruit is the star on day 2 with blackberries, blueberries and cherry. Also featuring spice, floral, minerals and roasted red peppers. This is a bigger style Syrah but is balanced. 92 points
Day 3: This is why I do 3 Day Wine Reviews! Totally mellowed out and is better than day 1/2. Blueberries, raspberries, black pepper, spices, floral, exotic spices and minerals. It was never a hot wine on day 1 or 2 but was pretty intense. This needs some cellar time. 93 points
Recommendation: Half a day decant if consuming now. I would hold these until 2025 and beyond. (93 points)
2020 tensley.JPG

The thread is under $20. Please delete .

$19.99 so I rounded up. Try posting something useful for once.