2022 Rivers Marie Cabernet Offering, who's buying and what?

The extractable tannin on the vintage was lower than most due to the heat. The upside is that they will drink well young (I’d give them a few months to settle after shipping) but not sure about extended aging (10+ years). These have the fruit of youth without the tannin (looking at you 2021).

1 Like

@Matt_England nailed it. We got a scant amount last year, we will a hard qualitative look at after harvest to see what/where it is.

Thank you so much, Will. You’re a standout with your communication and transparency and I (we all) appreciate it so much. I’m looking forward to these wines and will likely enjoy them while some of the other vintages sleep. Cheers to you.

3 Likes

Will,

Can you explain (in simple terms) what you mean by “extractable tannin” and the relationship to hot weather? I think the same concept came up in a recent thread on Bordeaux wines, and I was curious to hear about it from a winemaker’s perspective.

Thanks Will and Matt, I’m looking forward to tasting it whenever it’s available, thanks for the information.

Twas a very expensive month after my Napa/Sonoma trip a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to picking up my Napa allocation once my credit card cycle closes in a couple days to spread out the pain a bit

Much of the tannin in wine comes from the seeds. As the grape makes its way along the maturation curve, the seed goes from chewy and green to crunchy and brown. The less ripe the seed, the more green, firm tannins you extract. The heat pushed things to the other end of the curve in 2022.

2 Likes

Does one need to buy the Cabs to remain on the list for the Pinot’s and Chards? Asking for a friend…

Tom

No, I’ve only ever bought the Pinot and chards and it’s never been an issue. The cabs aren’t quite my thing but love everything else.

1 Like

I always buy Cab and Pinot but not always chard. Never had an issue

1 Like

I didn’t buy Chards this year (had too much white in cellar) and still got an offer. Def. in on the Pinot and Chards next year, but wavering on the Cabs. (I tend to like a lower ABV), so now I may be skipping two releases…Have not decided though…my family could care less what the ABV is…decisions…

1 Like

I also prefer local alcohol but it is California and TRB really does a good job integratingit without it being a fruit bomb. Go in for the Napa it is truly for the money the best around.

2 Likes

You convinced me, that is exactly what I did. Went all in on the Napa, maybe I will splurge next year for one of the others.

I always buy Cab and Pinot but not always chard. Never had an issue

Same.

Anyone have strong opinions on the Calistoga versus the Napa bottling? I guess its a difficult question based on the unique blend of the Napa bottling in 2022?
Have there been prior Napa vintages in the same vein as 2022, and how have they held up?

Cant speak to 22s. But i tasted a 21 calistoga while visiting and popped a 21 napa tonight. Much prefer the calistoga.

3 Likes

2022 is obviously a different blend for the Napa but most years the Calistoga is a little more savory and less fruit driven (tho it packs plenty of fruit).

Both are great values for what they are.

2 Likes

Officially ordered my Napa today now that credit cards cycle closed with all my Napa visit purchases

2 Likes

Is this a measurement that’s provided to you by Enologix or ETS? And have you run this year after year and noticed differences based on the analysis provided?

Curious to hear . . .

Cheers

Will,

Interesting information indeed - and with a short hot vintage one might be expected tannins not to ‘mature’ as quickly and therefore be more potentially noticeable no?

Also, I would say that the majority of tannins in wines absent from oak tannins would come from skin tannins more than seed tannins. And that the tannins that do tend to come from seed tannins tend to be more shorter chain bitter ones. . .

Dig talking about tannins!

Cheers