2021 wines that impacted you

Mugnier is the stalwart. I’m talking high quality producers, not just top vineyards.

You need to up your superlatives game, David.

Compelling is as high as my Rosé superlatives go.

1 Like

2008 Dom Perignon on New Years Eve. Champagne is actually good. Not that my sample size is large but still.

Egly Rose NV
Aubert 2013 and 2014 which I am currently drinking reinforced my love of these wines.
Schrader 2011 which was an off year.
Peter Michael…I will say no more.

Love hearing that the 41 Simi cab was a winner! Have a bottle of 1935 that im excited to open at some point - hopefully it also has a positive impact.

-Trying some wines from Portugal, from simply satisfying vinho verde blends, to some single variety versions, to more modern stuff like Luis Seabra. They’ve become an option now for my wine drinking.

-Very low dosage Champagne. Just a couple, but they piqued my interest to check out some more.

1 Like

2013 Paradigm Cab - in the perfect drinking window and striking the right balance between classic and modern style, caused me to sign up for an annual allocation

2018 Detert Cab Franc - one of finest expressions of this varietal IMO and top terroir - this is an incredible wine

I thought 2015 was considered a good vintage.

Some have commented on unusual grassy notes in a number of wines. I haven’t noticed it so far in what I have tasted.

Ah ok. Guess I will have to see for myself. Had seen notes it was the next best vintage after 12.

A few years back, thanks to this board, I called out to Detert, I was really lucky and got Tom on the phone and we talked for quite a while. He could not have been a nicer gentleman! I am quasi-obsessed with To-kalon. Anyway, he ended up selling me a mixed case of Sauvignon and Franc from the cellar and even included a bottle of reserve Franc. I’ve yet to try but will this year. In addition he added me to the reserve mailing list so the past two years I’ve received the gorgeous 3-paks (they really are beautiful) of reserve Franc. What a class act!

1 Like

I’ve been heavily purchasing and drinking Champagnes for the last several years. I used to just drink it as celebratory wine but now life’s too short not to drink Champagne regularly! But this year 2021, I had a no dosage champagne, 2010 Marguet Sapience, and loved it. Now I’m seeking out more no dosage wines.

Yeah, we used to drink ~5 bottles of champagne per year. We drank 21 this past year and will drink more champagne this year.

1 Like

“I drink champagne on two occasions; when I’m in love and when I’m not.”

• Coco Chanel

No quarrel here.
Best, Jim

1 Like

I have never drunk much Champagne, but a stunning Selosse Initial and Egly Rose in 2021 showed me the error of my ways.

Happy to read that. Just acquired 3 bottles of their 1979 Chenin Blanc…… birthyear :wink:

1 Like

This is a cool thread. What comes to mind for me is 2018 Tribute to Grace and 2017 Comando G La Bruja de Rozas. These two showed me a nuanced delicate side to Grenache that I had never experienced before. Now its something I am actively looking for. Anyone want to share their Rayas with me?

2014 Immortal Estate Slope Cabernet Sauvignon - This showed me that I really lean towards mountain/slope/higher elevation cabernet compared to valley floor wines, and I found this bottling to be very complex and enjoyable

2009 R. Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Blanco - This has shown me that I absolutely cannot get enough of the Blanco’s from LdH and I have subsequently bought (way) too many bottles of this and their Gravonia. These wines intrigue me!

2007 R. Lopez de Heredia Vina Bosconia - Holy smokes, I adore the Blancos from LdH as noted above, but maybe I am not a fan of the reds? The acid was wayyyy high for my taste and although it softened after a few days opened in bottle it has shown me that these either need a tremendous amount of time to settle, or maybe they are not for my taste at the moment. I am hesitant to open my other reds from them (and other Rioja producers) to find out.

2018 Sabelli-Frisch La Malinche and Lanterna Bottling’s - I like Adams outlook and story on winemaking equally as much as I like his wines. This wine specifically has reaffirmed to me that the best QPR in the wine world comes at around $30, and I need to stop spending money on over hyped and over produced junk from the big stores! Additionally, I enjoy finding new varietals to try and I appreciate these unique wines, along with his other offerings.

1 Like

I had the exact same experience with the 2008 Cubillo. Like drinking a jar of pickle juice.