2021 Memento Mori Offer Out

You are probably right.
I’ve been buying direct since the 2017 vintage. (Emily was awesome to work with). I guess I’ve been fortunate and have been offered everything in each release. I’ve bought everything in the portfolio but have narrowed down my purchases to the Flagship and Dr Crane.

I did skip the 2020 offerings (due to smoke concerns) but a nice conversation with Genevieve and she allowed me to purchase a single bottle to try it. (Still have not opened it)

Yes, like Jim said above, it’s great to hear from Hayes directly. We appreciate his time. :muscle:

Mike - I am glad you mentioned this. One of the reasons we were trying to expand to additional highly sought after blocks was that we felt like we were really letting people down with the SVD allocations being so small. It was actually my idea to go to the one bottle allocations so everyone could at least get some wine and I think it actually upset more people than it helped. I understand that because the whole reason we do three packs for collectors is so they can try the bottles at different times over a couple decades and not just get the one shot at it. Seeing how the wines change is half the fun.

So…when we were first in line for the exceptional blocks that came up, they came with new pricing for everything we sourced as a stipulation. I think you may find in the very near future (next couple years) that this isn’t just an MM thing. As I said, I would do it all again and when you taste the wines you’ll understand why, but with all these decisions there is a good and bad. I promise we are trying our best to not upset people and focus on our ethos of Remembering to Live and delivering insanely great wine to share with friends and loved ones; but as with all businesses there are supply chains and macro events (shortages, inflation, Mother Nature) that have to be factored in. Thanks for the discussion and the continued support.

7 Likes

Okay, okay- the SVD’s at $301.

Take my money…

4 Likes

Pulling the trigger. Hayes’ 2021 LPV comments got me excited - we’ll all forget what we paid by the time we drink the bottles anyway and consider it well worth it.

I’m pumped to be visiting the new estate next month. Can’t wait to check out the new digs.

4 Likes

Hard to argue on how incredible the ‘21 SVDs are- and there is literally nothing like SK’s approach to the sacred parcels within these iconic vineyard sites. These specific parcel locations make a dramatic difference when your wine is terroir driven vs over extraction Napa fruit bombs like most of the others. Take that for what it is- might not be your style but is exceptional juice if it is.

Looking forward to tasting Vida Val later this year based on the MM ‘21s.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m in. 3 pack ordered.

4 Likes

Who’s buying 2021 VHR?

$1050/3 Pack
2019 was $675/3 pack
Comparatively, Kinsman‘s version of VHR was $825/3 pack

I’m sure it’s amazing but all in its now $392/bottle.

Gonna have to limit myself to one SVD. Likely Dr Crane release in January.

Sorry MM, gonna have to pass.

p.s. In your release letter, you lost me at “Taylor Swift” The NFL and now MM. She’s everywhere.:face_with_spiral_eyes:
Hahaha

6 Likes

Unfortunately I won’t be buying MM from their list anymore as I no longer can afford it. Hopefully I can find it down the road at auction or something as they are great wines.

1 Like

I have not bought VHR directly from Bruce in a couple of years but I suspect it’s a much better value than MM at the new price point.

1 Like

It was cuspy for me at the 2019 prices, so unfortunately this is a quick cross off. Too many good options out there at less than half the price.

7 Likes

Yeah this price point was extremely disappointing. I recall them saying that the SVD’s were increasing and thye were hoping to stay at this price for awhile. Bur sheesh that’s a huge price increase and tough pill to swallow…Easy pass

1 Like

I bought three. All in cost shipping and taxes over $400 a bottle. Not planning on continuing to purchase at this price. It’s doubled in price since the 2019’s release? Crazy.

Crazy part when you think about it is…How long is your customer base sustainable at that price point? I would imagine at the all in price of $400+ a bottle isn’t going to appeal to many people if any at all. How do you attract new customers? I know for me once it reaches the mid 200’s I start to questions value. Have I made exceptions and pushed the amount up at times…Sure but not normally

9 Likes

With options like Dico, Beta, Bevan, Realm, Myriad and so many others its very hard to justify

3 Likes

Yeah CellarTracker says I have 43 bottles of Memento Mori in my cellar. I’ve been buying since early on. Love the wine, packaging and the people but not sure I’ll continue with these increases and no doubt more to come. I’m sure there will be someone to replace me they must know what they are doing.

1 Like

Yeah I think the last time they had a release someone from MM was graciously chiming in here on the board regarding their release strategy , ect maybe they will pop in…I also wonder once wineries reach a certain price threshold do they consider breaking the 3 pack minimum. That might make situations like this more tempting for people

1 Like

I’ve thought about this too but get tripped up at the cellar perspective—how practical is it to own a single high-end bottle? When, and would, you drink the lone special bottle?

2 Likes

Most of my high end bottles are singles, its not ideal but budget wise is what works for me. I make it work by reading the fantastic TN from other berserkers and judging if the wine will be ready for my own tastes. If I didnt buy singles I wouldnt get to try half the wines I do

3 Likes

Agreed that is a good question I usually buy in increments of 2-3 for most purchases. However when it comes to some of the blue chip BDX I’m definitely in the single bottle category

1 Like

Funny you mention this example–it is exactly why I own no first growth or “super second” BDX. Have a hard time shelling out that much money for a single bottle. Burgundy also falls into this category.

1 Like