2020 Wine Resolutions

that’s an ambitious target! im guessing with such a strict limit you already have a couple bottles in mind to fill that case?

I’m all in for the general “more quality, less quantity” and “more stuff that’s Ready to drink” posts. The last couple years I’ve filled my cellar with stuff that still needs 10 years and whenever I go to grab something I find myself with a bunch of stuff im not ready to open and nothing ready for prime time!

I remain on one mailing list (3 bottles). I’d also like to buy 6 or so 2008 Comtes, though tariffs may squash that plan. That should leave room for a bottle here and there to fill in gaps for special dinners/tastings if the cellar is lacking. Plenty of aged stuff already down there after 30 years of collecting so a 1 year hiatus shouldn’t have much effect.

Buy some, open some, drink some, share.

RT

Personally:
Drink less in the weeks. Try to drink wine only on weekends or twice a week.
Drink better wines and not bother with my wife’s “bargain finds”.
Drink more skin-contact Riesling.
Drink more Zinfandel.
Drink more Mission from the world.

For the company:
Convincing people that Mission is a wine worthy of great respect when done right.
To survive long enough to be able to get to the 2020 harvest!

[cheers.gif]

I’d like to be more conscious about consumption that does more harm than good, to be honest.

Many of us like to say we enjoy a glass or two at night, but in reality exceed that.

I don’t drink most nights but when I do …

My challenge is that one glass is not enough of a good wine, two feels great, which sometimes leads to a third, which …

… leaves me with a foggy head and headache in the morning as I get older.

Please no hectoring or holier than thou bragging about your discipline or AA jokes.

Just an honest admission about trying to be more thoughtful/diligent about that “third glass.”

Continue to drink a glass or two with dinner most nights. Yeah Yeah Matthew :slight_smile:
Stop buying great deal daily drinkers (like I don’t have enough already)
Continue to work hard on my golf game.
Never hesitate to open a great bottle even if it’s a weeknight (life is too short!)

Drink more champagne and sparkling

Find some great sources for 375s and buy more of them

Try to adhere to quality, not quantity

Stick to my budget

I think all of us know the feeling of wanting to keep drinking a great wine. no shame there. what happens when you’ve done such a good job buying wines though, that every wine is great??

I try to focus on spending more time with each glass instead. that strategy seems to work pretty well for me. but “great” wines to me tend to be in the aromas above the palate most times, so that makes it easier.

Goals for 2020:

Buy fewer bottles, and free up more space in storage.

Buy more Champagne. Buy more Bartlett’s Blueberry wines…cases more.

Spend 20% of the annual wine budget while in Germany on my Honeymoon.

Dramatically decrease purchases to reduce cellar size and conserve cash for other major purchases.

Buy only from designated preplanned list and in smaller quantities than previous years.

Focus on quality over quantity and price.

Drink more older wine already in my cellar.

Share more bottles with more friends. (Make more friends?).

More thoughtfulness and strategy around monthly buys.

Realize that there’s no reason to stock a cellar full of “daily drinkers” and then not have room for special bottles.

Focus more on ready to drink knockouts and less on trying to age bottles. Yet still buy a few to sit on.

Save and plan for building a proper cellar.

Drink more champagne.

My 2019 resolution was to buy less wine, and I did a good job of it. My resolution this year is to buy even less and reduce my cellar. I also plan to buy more bubbles (doing a good job of that already) and more still whites.

I also want to drink less and workout more to lose a few pounds. Not sure which will be harder.

I can certainly help with that!

my goals:

Pay down debt (failed business)
keep looking for obscure whites to drink and purchase
Seek auction deals for one offs and mixed cases

Make sure you load up on stickies while in Germany!

I plan on buying wines that are nor imported or I can no longer get in the US. Almost exclusively GG’s Weissburgunder, Grauburgunder, Chardonnay, & Riesling) and maybe a TBA or BA…depending on the prices. However, I’m really hoping to try & bring home some of the wines we never get access to in the US market.

Who makes GG Weissburgunder? I’ve seen Weissburgunder imported from Seehof and others, but not GG.

To share more of my overstocked cellar with friends. To be more gracious and less elitist with those just beginning the journey. To buy more of what I drink most and give away or sell those albatross wines that I thought I wanted…this isn’t a pissing contest and though I see no signs of stopping buying, I do need to buy less and more selectively. Buy and drink more champagne. Pay more corkage fees and buy less by the glass. Stop ordering “orange wines” hoping somehow that my palate will change or I’ll have a “Damascus Road” experience. Embrace the childlike joy I still feel when I taste a wonderful wine and don’t worry about all the mediocre crap that passes for wine and drives the business.

Meßmer does, and Terry Theise used to import it but the 2013 was the last vintage I could find in the US market. It’s a singular expression of Pinot Blanc that I’ve yet to find an equal to. It’s not that expensive in Germany and even if there is a 100% tariff it’s still worth it to me at the price-point they sell it for in Germany. The wine is pretty long…but then again so is the finish. I’ve had the 2007, 09, 12, & 13. It’s worth the hunt while I’m over there. I need to buy enough to share when I return. A close friend also really likes this.

Meßmer Burrweiller Schloßgarten Im Goldenen Jost Weissburgunder Großes Gewächs.

Looks great!

same as every year: buy less, drink more. And I fail miserably every year.