2020 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

65 degrees and cloudy with occasional drizzle here in Calistoga. So warm without sun.

Pretty steady rain overnight, but by 7:30 the sun had come out. Partly cloudy, now, but mostly sunny with a light breeze. Temperature around 60.

.91 inches in the last 24 hours. Hell, I’ll take that!

We just hit 18in for the season. After the very dry November we have had an average number of rain events they have just not produced much rain. Really lacking those 6-8in storms. Not as dry as winters 2014 and 2015 but well short of winters 2017-19. Fingers crossed for a wet February.

Paul

It is raining again this morning…I thought we were having a sunny day every day this week. Calistoga in the Valley floor where my vineyard is has more rain than other rain in Napa Valley - crazy.

Temps in our area going to almost touch 70 degrees on Friday. Everyone but guys like me will LOVE it. This will be one of those mid winter ‘false springs’ that commonly happen. Early plants like plum trees and quince will start to pop. Ill just hope my vineyard won’t be paying much attention.

Up in Oregon we call that the “February Fake-out”. Seems to happen every year.

In New England, the last week of January is referred to as the “January Thaw.” That hopeful break in a LONG winter that does indeed give hope that Spring will arrive, eventually. This week is the same here. Not waking up freezing and no coat necessary in the afternoon. I love Napa Valley weather, but my heart still has a place for Boston weather.

IMG_20200129_120006773_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200129_115935628_HDR.jpg
Finally get to show the cover crop progress. It’s certainly moving considering the late start, but a week or so of warmer weather will make it zoom. I’d say it’s 6-10 inches depending on location.

Looking dry for CA

Yesterday and today are beautifully sunny days (with some partial cloudiness) about 65-70 degrees. The ground is still wet - some vineyards along Silverado Trail are still filled with puddles. As Casey noted, the pattern of rain and then sun is pushing the cover crop between the vine rows. One might say it is like Spring…

Started pruning on Monday (my favorite activity). Cane wounds are already bleeding; earlier than usual.
Great pruning weather.
E

Lots of the smaller/artisan vineyards have only recently started pruning as well. I’m not sure what percent we are from done but I’ll guess 60%. Yes pruning wounds are bleeding which ratchets up my blood pressure. We need at least 15 more inches of rain, but hey we’re not even in February. So I’m gonna mix myself and another 'chill con’s and do a bunch of household projects and wait for the super bowl.

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday warm and calm. Got a bunch of chores done around the property: cleaned up a couple of flower beds, burned a couple of brush piles took the Zip for a good walk.
Woke up today to a chilly wind out of the north. Fine with me, let’s keep those vines nice and sleepy! BYW Black oak trees around my house have swollen buds.

After a warm Saturday, it turned cold and windy yesterday. Dipped below 28F at 9:30PM last night and still there as I type. Good tick killing weather and dissuades any ill advised early budbreak.

Paul

It is very cold here in Calistoga, with a biting wind. But it is so clear out…it’s a joy to look out the windows at Diamond Mountain. It looks like a painting.

We had 27 degrees this morning which made me find imaginary paperwork to do so that I wasn’t in the field like my men and women were at 7:30. No rain for the next 7 days. We still have a few burn piles to take care of. I like projects like that on cold mornings.

Sure would like to see some rain but it is what it is. Mowing brush right behind the pruning crews (not mowing cover crop rows yet) and doing some weed spray too. The week ahead is dry so we put our head down and keep pruning.

Casey, have you been able to find a spray for weed control that is organic? Sure would be cheaper than hand-digging weeds like I do here.

No, but I’m sure a good PCA (pest control advisor) and Google can get you on your way.