2019 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie Le Mollard

After a recent thread on Northern Rhone micro cuvées (https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=189449&p=3523920), I planned to open this and so I did.

2019 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie Le Mollard
Curiosity got the better of me. I have liked Gerard’s wines quite a lot, though I had not tried his single-vineyard wines so I was excited to find one bottle of this available at a local retailer. This was very dark and powerful, ripe, gamy and savory, definitely a higher gear than Gerard’s basic Côte-Rôtie. The scale here is large and spherical with a jagged wall of tannins closing things off once the fruit fades on the palate. Impressive. I kept half the bottle for a Day Two inspection, and it was much more closed off, dark and savory but with the fruit in recession and the tannins more prominent. Overall the profile here was more like Cornas than Côte-Rôtie - not a bad thing! This needs a lot of time.

7 Likes

Damn, thank you sir! Mine arrive in Fall.

I love Cornas rusticity! Even if this is a Cote Rotie.

Thanks! I have one of these on deck as well. We need to do another northern Rhône dinner, once the weather cools a bit, I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is the “retail” price of this wine? This one bottle was $120 - more than I usually care to spend but it seemed like a fleeting opportunity, so I jumped on it.

Thanks for taking one for the team. I bought my allocation on blind faith based on my experience with his wines. I was thinking of opening a bottle, but it sounds like it may be a waste of time (even though I do like young wines, I just don’t like totally closed wines). If I wanted to get a sense of it, do you think things could get any better in the short term (1-3 years) or does it seem like a wine that will close hard for many years?

He makes more of it than the Landonne, but I’d have to check.

I think front line retail would be around $150, so $120 would be highly discounted (-20%).

1 Like

I paid $125

1 Like

I also like young wines that are not closed, and I grooved on this, both paired with a rich dinner and afterward. Based on the Day Two experience, I think it will shut down hard for some time.

OK, so reading between the lines, if I want to get a read on this, better try it soon and then be ready to wait. Is that a fair read?

As the guy who started that other thread, I thank you kindly for this tasting note. I don’t have the Le Mollard but I did pick up a 2019 La Landonne, which I’m burying until civilization falls (2030, I suspect). And though I have accumulated roughly a mixed case of his Cote Rotie, St Joseph and Cote Chatillon, I still haven’t actually tried a Gerard! I’ll crack one soon.

1 Like

I had the Le Mollard in May. I found it to be extremely tannic, nearly overly so. I have a couple more and was looking forward to others tasting notes to see if they had a similar experience… and it sounds like the same. I have no idea how long one is supposed to wait on these.

Yes indeed. I agree.

OK, I’ll try it soon. Maybe with that 2018 Bourg Cornas I bought to try but never did…

Many thanks for the note (and also to Shan for his impressions)! Thanks to this thread I’m definitely burying mine till 2029, and maybe another 5 years for the Landonne

FWIW I paid $100

The 2018 Mickael Bourg Cornas is lovely and accessible so at least there’ll be one wine on the table that’s open for business

+1 on the 19 Bourg - the first couple sips were mighty intense, but it’s definitely approachable and delicious.

Zachary, thanks. I haven’t had a Gerard single vineyard but have really liked the few Cote Roties I’ve tried so have been adding them to my cellar. I’d be honored to join you guys for a N. Rhône dinner if I’m in NY at the right time. Or just keep chugging them here in California.

BTW I opened a 2012 Texier Cote Rotie VV today and it continues a steady streak of Texier wines that don’t strike my fancy. A bit too natural for me, or perhaps I’m just another yak palate. This one was herbal, funky and not in a good way.

I thought these were gorgeous straight out of the gates. Time was not good to the last bottle I had about 18 mos ago. Found it shrill, highly-acid, fruit muted. Bought a 6-pack on release.

Shrill, yes. Bummer.