2019 Syrah based wines to buy

I think the wine is fairly priced up to, say, $75. I see it’s about $140 “retail”. I’d pass. Now you are getting close to Clape and Jamet pricing.

Frequency Wine Co. - Zotovich Vineyard Syrah, John Sebastiano Vineyard Syrah, Watch Hill Vineyard Syrah
Melville - Donna’s Block Syrah
Tensley - Colson Canyon (riper side)
Andrew Murray - Roasted Slope, Los Alamos, Slide Hill, and Watch Hill Syrah’s

Guillermo

We are down to our last 3 cases of 2019 Elevacion. Will not be any around for BerserkersDay.

Paul

Yikes! Just emailed you. Thanks for the heads up.

I think it was from Rare Wine Co. a while back; but, their email got me to pick up Bernard Faurie Hermitage Greffieux Bessard Meal which is a blend of the 3 vineyards.

Two of my recent favorite Syrah’s were a 2006 & 2011 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle.

In all fairness, just like in the US, it’s a new world there too, stylistically. There are some very interesting Shiraz’s getting produced there now, from what I hear. Lots of new winemakers and balanced wines.

If their Riesling excellence is anything to go by, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Shiraz will make a comeback internationally.

1 Like

You might consider Stefano Amerighi, in Cortona, Tuscany. A terroir driven italian syrah, with a lot of finesse.

I’d include:

Faury St. Joseph Vieilles Vignes (perpetually grossly under-priced; delicious)
Bénetière Côte-Rôtie (prices skyrocketing)
Franck Balthazar Cornas Chaillot (Balthazar doesn’t get enough love around here)
Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie (too much love around here and elsewhere will drive up prices)
Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche / La Péroline (prices creeping up)
Cédric Parpette Côte-Rôtie Le Plomb (great prices from board member Robert Panzer. A luxurious but energetic style)
Domestically, I really like Rhys’ and Enfield’s syrahs. (IMO, it’s Rhys’ strongest suit)

Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Warren