2019 bordeaux

I bought a few St Estèphe, one of which Les Ormes de Pez was advertised by the Wine Society at 14% but is now 14.5 according to Jancis.

Jeff,
You wrote “we”. Who is “we?” And is the scoring your notes or is there input from others?

That assumes either, or both copied the info correctly. You would need to contact Ormes de Pez and ask. I have a bottle here someplace, I think, but I could not find it.

I saw one listing for Cheval where the bottles in a six bottle case were 13.5% alcohol and loose bottles were 14%

No, only me for the notes. But for these big tastings, I have volunteer assistants helping me open and pour. It is a massive undertaking to manage 750 or more bottles, schedule Zooms, organize the flights, pop, pour, write notes, edit notes, take pics, post articles etc. I could not do this without help. They are all credited in the articles on my site.

Thanks

I was just contemplating buying a couple more cases of ‘19 and this thread pushed me over the edge :joy:

2 Likes

I really regret not buying more VCC

3 Likes

I jumped in for a case of 2019 EP for the first time since 2012. I’ve sat out because of the (then) trend of EP no longer being a discount to release prices. 2019 drew me in because of price and quality.

Anyway, I bought some Beau Sejour Becot, Haut Bailly, Lynch Bages, Clinet and Pichon Lalande. The PLL is already up a lot, the Clinet a bit and the others not at all. I’ll be curious to see how or if the market moves.

1 Like

Lunch Bages is up too. $86 at EP, now $115.

Does it come with food?

It’s 250 ish. How much was it before ?

Regardless, it’s a stellar vintage of VCC and it’s still the lowest priced, high-quality VCC available today. If you have the money and like VCC, grab it.

1 Like

I did get some; it was like 180 before

1 Like

The initial release price in the US was around $225.

Interesting that none of the usual suspects (other than Jane Anson) reviewed the '19 Montrose. Any idea why?

No en primeur tastings, and Montrose didn’t release it to critics outside of Bordeaux. Jane Anson lives there.

2 Likes

I figured the plague meant no big en primeur festivities, but if Jeff gets bdx wines delivered to his estate in LA for tasting I figured lesser lights might as well.

1 Like

For those who are interested: wine.com has the Montrose for $137/bottle, and if you have a platinum (or gold?) Amex card you probably have a $30 off $100 purchase deal available. $107/bottle looks to be a pretty good price for the wine.

I was tempted, but the 2000 Montrose still isn’t close to being ready; at my age, and given my preferences for aged wine, this makes no sense

1 Like

Montrose did not ship barrel samples. But I do have a bottle of 2019 Montrose in my St. Estephe section waiting to be tasted.

1 Like

Yes, I meant the barrel samples. I look forward to your review.

1 Like