2019 Beaujolais

Yes I would have called that Thivin a cocktail wine but that’s exactly what I wanted at the time. Are those older vintages still drinking well or should I just stick with newer ones? I ordered some more 2017 and 2018 Thivin, and also found the Clos de la Roilette Fleurie Cuvee Tardive 2017 at WineEx close to where I live for that $23 price!

This list would be a fantastic way to get to know the region. It’s so true that they’re all very different.

I would add Vissoux. Personally, I buy a bunch of L’Envoye Cotes du Py, Fleurie Monopole and Moulin a Vent since I can source it easily and even retail is under $18.

Good call, Kris. Vissoux has a great line-up. Le Garant always wins.

It is a misnomer that Beaujolais does not age. Some wines like Roilette really require it. I would still call 2014 young on most of those cuvees that I listed. I’d buy them over 17 and 18 all things considered. I do like have the span of vintages, however.

Grammar police calling you out: it might be a mistake, or a misunderstanding, but its not a misnomer neener :wink:

I feel live we’ve been hearing the ‘once it gets popular’ line for at least 5-6 years now.

I love Cru Beaujolais, but if I had to start paying $60-$75/bottle, I’m definitely looking elsewhere.

Agree! Great QPR. The Moulin à Vent is killer for the price. Once you’ve caught the Bojo bug there is much fun to be had for very little money.

Hmmm, never tried that L’Envoye. Gotta check it out.

You can get Cote du Py from L’Envoye at Costco here in WA for $13.

Not sure there is much better for $.

Drank a bottle of this last night, excellent QPR for $23. Tasted red fruit, with a secondary undertone and a very long finish. Improved over the two hours I had the wine open. Medium to high acidity but not overwhelming - I drank without food but this wine would also be food friendly. Well done on the QPR recommendation! I picked up some others on the list and will report back. Thus far really enjoying the QPR on Beaujolais.

1 Like

Another Beaujolais novice here with a sub-question: which (quality) producer makes the earthiest Bojo? I ask because a recent bottle of the 2016 Foillard Cote du Py was a little fruitier than I prefer. Maybe 2016 is too young to pre-judge, but I bet there are some Beaujolais producers that are more like a terroir-driven burgundy.

Easy. Roilette. Find some 2014, 2011 or 2016.

Enjoyed a nice 2018 Dominique Piron Brouilly for $20 tonight. TN over at Cellar tracker. Good Value!

Lots of talented and passionate people from burgundy are finding vineyard prices there are out of their reach. They look south a few miles and see the opportunity to express great terroir which they can afford. Things are looking up in Beaujolais.

Sweet, I’ve got some on order, can’t wait for shipping season to try these out.

Also, I’m having the 2nd half of the 16 Foillard I found too fruity. I like it a lot more today, still showing a bit of a candied cherry note (almost giving it a rose quality), but it’s more earthy and balanced now. Delicious.

I may like that, which bottling?

I’d avoid 2015 and 2018; but in addition to what has been mentioned I would recommend highly Anne-Sophie Dubois.

Too hot of a vintage?