2018 Red Burgundy: Actually A Subpar Vintage?

2018 Duroche lsj vv was excellent after recorking it for several days.

The most eye-popping line in either is Meadows’s “certainly better [freshness and terroir transparency] … than 2009.” I’m not sure that’s true (and if true, it’s probably hyperbole), but if it is even partially true, 2018s will be splendid. I very, very much like how '09s have turned out.

FWIW, I do agree with those who find '09, '15, and '18 very different. To me, '15 is a truly monumental vintage that will go down as one of the best of the last few decades. But it will require a lot of time to fully get there.

1 Like

For my palate and based on the few wines I’ve tried yes, a subpar vintage.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed most of what I’ve had, but not as much as other vintages. I just had a couple of 18 reds from Henri Germain (Chassagne-Montrachet and Meursault) and was surprised by the green streak on the finish in both. Naturally CdB reds aren’t top by any means anyway.

As a whole I have enjoyed 14 and 17 reds generally more than 18. I think heterogeneous is definitely spot on. You have to pick and choose to find the gems.

Not saying you are wrong. Personal preference, I like the '16 more than '15

Personal preference, big +1

I love ‘16 too! And I even own more of it than ‘15. But if I had to bet, I think ‘15 will slightly edge out ‘16 in the long run.

From what I have popped, '19s are better to my taste.

i am sure there are some great wines in 18, but i can’t recall having had so many pinot that tasted like bad syrah…even from producers i typically adore. i don’t recall any wines quite like that from 09 or 15. the worst offender i recall from 15 was a claire naudin orchis mascula that was too sweet and jammy, however it was nothing compared to the 18 pataille bourgonge which did not at all resemble the grape it was supposedly made from. 19 is a different story all together and seems quite promising from what little i have tasted; a charlopin-tissier marsannay recently was fantastic.

The ripest I’ve had is the Bruno Clair Marsannay. Super jammy but nice to drink casually. I enjoyed it much more than the Bouchard, probably because my expectations were a lot lower.

The quality between 2015 and 2018 is extremely different!

Same. That said, I think the good 2015s will be splendid, but it’s a more heterogeneous vintage.

Sorry, but if 2018 had happened in the 1980s or even in the 1990s, people would be falling all over themselves.

Spoiled geeks.

2 Likes

Jay and Yong said :

**Not saying you are wrong. Personal preference, I like the '16 more than '15
**Personal preference, big +1

Thank for the interesting comments.

If I understanding correctly, you are talking that you prefer the same win from the same producer from vintage 2016 than from vintage 2015. rolleyes

I am sensing that most of the reds (which I had owned from vintage 2015) are starting to enter the close-down stage, so I am not planing to open any for pair-tasting with 2016 vs 2015. I loaded up myself with 2015 and did not buy too many 2016 red as 2016 reds were generally more pricey for sure than 2015 and also due to the natural lowest yield (due to the poor weather conditions) for the last many years.

BUT…being said : I agree with Greg that the 2015 (from my preferred producers) will be splendid down in the road in few years, let say : in 2025…

Nope. 10 years from now Burgs geeks will be complaining that the 2015s will never come around and are overrated.

It’s not the wines. It’s the Burg geeks. Never, ever satisfied.

3 Likes

Thanks for tip as I used to buy some ***orchis mascula **** and her other reds. BUT…stopped since vintage 2014 as they were getting pricey.

Dom. N-Ferrand - C-de-N- Viola Odarata 14 ($78)
Dom. N-Ferrand - H. C-de-B Orchis muscula 14 (12256062 $51)
Dom. N-Ferrand - C-de-Nuits village 14 (11668698 $34)
Dom. N-Ferrand - H. C-de-B Orchis muscula 13 (12256062 $51)

If the 2018 vintage occurred anytime before 2003, it probably would have been just like 2003. The growers and winemakers wouldn’t have been ready for that vintage. Some might have done well, but there’d be a lot more pruney wines.

I think it’s reasonable for folks who like traditional burgundy to find 18-20 over-ripe for their tastes.

Doesn’t change the end result. Burg geeks are IMO spoiled and entitled.

1 Like

Do not have the time to read the whole thread, but FWIW, I was able to very briefly visit Burgundy last May-June on a professional buying trip. I visited 7 growers in the Cote de Beaune. I selected 8 wines from 3 growers to present to my customers. 6 of them were 2019s, 2 of them were 2017s. I tasted 2018s at every visit. I was not impressed enough to make any commitments.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

With all due respect to a favorite poster, I disagree (again, not having read the full thread).

Burg geeks are regularly subjected to the pain of paying ~$50 - $$$$$$$ and getting wine from magnificent to mediocre to miserable. So much for spoiled.
They are also entitled to pay mind-boggling prices with no guarantee of quality, much less value.

Dan Kravitz