2018 Red Burgs - time to crack a few!

with the various Burgundy wine thefts, I hope he’s got great security on his cellar—each barrel or 300 bottles of CC is more than $1,000,000 retail and if he holds back several vintages, it’s a mind-boggling amount of money.

2018 Simon Bize SLB Aux Grands Liards: mid to dark red, quite big boned, dark fruits and nicely ripe and good intensity and length. Quite big& powerful but still balanced with nice acidity, tannins are a bit noticeable, Lovely wine really and only 13% alcohol on the bottle. I en joyed it but think it will be much better with 10 years in the cellar.

There used to be only one reason ever to decant red burgundy and that was to get it off its sediment. In this age of wines being bottled with very high levels of by no means always obvious CO2, however, the gas must be vigorously dissipated.

Yes, this has really becoming a thing, and there are a couple of consultant enologists who make a point of gassing the wines to a particular level before bottling. I really don’t like this, as it (1) exaggerates the perception of tannin when tasting the wines young and (2) any “freshness” it may impart will dissipate by the time the wine is old enough to be interesting to me.

Do you not find that extremely vigorous shaking disperses the gas sufficiently to make the wine at least tasteable, William? it’s quite a performance, admittedly, and it’s always a surprise when a wine that initially seems entirely still reveals itself to be as fizzy as Coca-Cola- after which the taste changes entirely.

That’s one of the reasons I use the nuance wine finer upon initial opening, seems to do a good job with dissipation as well helping to prevent drips.

I’ve had a few bottles of '18 Bernard Defaix Bourgogne Rouge and it is fresh and delicious.

2018 Forey pere st Fils Morey-St-Denis
This is really lovely. Creamy red berries, with persistent, well kempt tannins. Real energy and purity.